It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Laser vs Konosuke HH?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I have been considering an thin gyuto 240mm that is still sturdy enough to be a primary kitchen knife. I am not a pro just a hobby cook at home. I primarily use a Tojiro DP 210 and CCK 1303 that I purchased form CKtG. I believe that I am falling in to the stainless camp because of its ease of maintenance. Some times other people use my knives, wife included, who are less careful with them and carbon will suffer in my kitchen.

I love the sounds of AEB-L steel and would love a DT, but really can not justify the expense for my needs.

I know that DT's AEB-L is well liked and sounds like a superbe choice and the fact that Mark was given DT's ITK a vote of confidence influences my opinion of materials, but again is more than I can spend and they never seem to be available.

My question is I would like a knife that I will keep for many years. I'm looking for a knife that sharpens easily takes a nice edge and holds it reasonably well. I would like a knife with a nice taper to the point. Appearance is important with this choice.

How would you compare the Richmond Laser and Konosuke HH to each other and maybe a DT ITK. Should I consider the Ultimatum or other knives?

I know this is a broad question thanks for your help.

Tim

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser vs Konosuke HH?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

I just started a new forum for Chefknivestogo. Do you mind if I use your question and my answer? It will help others who read it. I'll only use your first name if I post it.

I think you should strongly consider my Laser. It has the exact same profile as the DT, uses the same AEB-L steel and should perform similarly. They have excellent grinds and nice handles. The Konosuke HH are in the same price range but the steel is kept a secret from me. "Swedish Steel" usually is a buzz word for AEB-L or 19C27 but it could be something different. It sure does feel like AEB-L on the stones and now that they are harder they're an excellent choice.

I hope that helps a little. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and please use my question on the forum. I have been improving my sharpening skills on some Shapton glass stones 1 and 4000 grit and my skills have improved, however I am still a beginner.

Do you offer finish sharpening on the laser (Schwartz)?

I wouldn't mind for a short period having an ultra sharp knife so I know what to work towards.

Tim

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

This particular knife is really sharp out of the box. The video you see on the page is with the factory edge. My recommendation on this one is to use it until it's dull and then send it out to Ken for sharpening once it's ready.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]