It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Laser vs. Konosuke HH or HD - Wa-Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 pm 

I am a home cook upgrading from a Tojiro DP 240mm western-handled gyuto and have decided I want a Japanese-handled laser.

I've narrowed it down to the Richmond Laser and the Konosuke in either HH or HD. Here are my thoughts/questions:

1. Especially with the switch to a Japanese handle, I think I'll be happier with the 270mm model, rather than the 240.
2. I certainly like the looks of the Richmond rosewood/ebony handle better than the Konosuke, but the Konosuke sure gets a lot of praise for blade thinness and sharpening qualities.
3. Is the blade profile any different between the two knives? Given a choice, I think I'd like a somewhat flatter profile. With sharper knives, I am doing more push cuts, but still do some rocking.
4. In terms of stock listed, I could buy the Konosuke HD 270 mm today, but I noticed that Mark said yesterday that some 270mm Richmond Lasers just arrived and were being handled. If the Konosuke HH 270mm were in stock, and remained on sale, it would be the cheapest of the three.

Advice welcome!

Thanks,
MoT

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser vs. Konosuke HH or HD - Wa-Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

if you look at the bottom of the konosuke hd page at cktg youll see a new konosuke hd funayuki/new shape that should be arriving pretty soon. it will have a flatter profile than the traditional konosuke profile which seems to have a little bit too much belly for some people. I suggest you hold out for one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 pm 

Yeah, I had noticed the prospective 270mm funayuki-shaped gyuto in the HD line, but I wasn't clear when that might be coming in.

Mark, any insights you can offer on availability and knife choices?

Many thanks,
MoT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

No plans on a 270 funayuki gyuto currently. We should have the 240s back in stock in a few weeks.

My laser 270a are in the office but need handles. We'll have them soon. We're also going to do some cocobolo handles for a little more.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm 

Thanks, Mark. How does the profile compare between the Richmond Laser and the Konosuke HH or regular HD?

MoT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

They're very similar. The grind is a little different but they're similar knives. The main difference with my knife is the steel is known and the handle.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm 

Go with the Richmond Laser. Fantastic knife.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm waiting on the Funayuki... without doubt.. or question.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]