It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Richmond Laser or Masakage Koishi?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

I’m a return customer looking to purchase a new knife for fun in the coming weeks/months as a graduation gift for myself.

I missed out on the first run of the Richmond laser AS series. I’m wondering if/when you will get in more of these knives, as well as whether you have any kind of reservation system.

I’m also looking at the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 and a Masakage Koishi. Since this is a gift for a memorable occasion, it is more about a collectors item for decades of use in a home kitchen aside other knives than a workhorse for a pro kitchen or the “go-to” knife for every service. That said, I cook a lot, and I love knives! So the Richmond has character, too: it is connected to your wonderful site, it is an obvious workhorse that is beautifully engineered, and it has a no-frills, classic look and design that has a class all its own.

I would appreciate any comments you may have. I love the sense of “distinctness” from the hand-forged nature of the Kono and Masakage (I have to Kono HD2s already and love them, but I think I would like a slightly heftier, more distinct blade feel and weight of the forged versions for fun). That said, the Richmond Laser AS seems to be a bit of a dream knife for many, and nice as pragmatic choice, too. Any tip issues with these delicate, thin blades from other users? Any thoughts on anything?

Thanks, as always, for your comments and great service!

Best,
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser or Masakage Koishi?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:30 pm 

Those are some tough choices but for me I would chose them like this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 pm 

Sorry hit enter by accident

Konosuke Fujiyama are one of the nicest blades I have ever seen great craftsmanship put into this blade
Masakage Koishi and Richmond Laser are a throw up they are both made of AS (Aogami Super steel) but the Masakage has a nice Kurouichi hammered finish that is said to be one of the best Kuro knives out there
the Richmond AS Laser has always been intrguing to me since it has the Laser tag on it but is still also a little hefty
Someone else with more experience with these kind of knives can chime in I am just giving my 2 cents

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kono Fujiyama is a hand made masterpiece with excellent grinds, top fit and finish and a great solid feel to it. I really like the Blue #2 versions over the White steel versions; they are both fully reactive since they are clad with carbon steel.
Richmond AS Laser has a very similar grind to the Kono Blue and is SS clad with Aogami Super core. I haven't seen a handled one in a long time (I usually get them w/o handles to build my own), so I'm not sure how the F&F with that it.
Masakage Koishi, workhorse knife, AS core clad with stainless, dimpled Kurouchi finish.

If you have the money, go for the Blue #2 Kono Fujiyama :) It's just a different level.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 on what Tim said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 am 

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate the input. My own research so far confirms that the Konosuke is really something quite special, and who knows how long it will continue to be available. It is also likely close to my Kono Funayuki 240 HD2 (with Ebony), a knife that, upon receiving, I literally gawked over given its perfection. So I can see how something similar would amazing. But also...similar. :) Price is always a concern, but this is a prize after 12 years of school (BM, MA, PhD), so I'm willing to stretch. :)

I'm not used to carbon – not intimidated by it, either – but this is a home knife that will only get used 2-3 days a week, given the other knives I will likely use on other days. Any thoughts on maintenance? I guess what I'm asking is: does carbon need any extra care if it sits around for days at a time? I'm not at all concerned about wiping the blade down or patina (I'm a firm believer that patina and signs of use are attractive, and not blemishes), but I do worry about RUST if the knife sits around for longer periods from time to time in humid weather. I have no idea how many days or weeks it takes for AS to react.... And of course I welcome addition thoughts/support for the Richmond and Masakage, if anyone has any. Also, if anyone strongly recommends the Funayuki over the "standard" Kono profile for the Blue.

Thanks again for the input!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 am 

I have the Fujiyama funyuki in blue 2. I also have a kioshi and had the Richmond lazer for a short time and gave it as a present. Of the three I would choose the kono. I also have an hd2, although in pictures they may be similar in profile, they are way different. The Fujiyama 's are really something special. Of the three I'd say it 's going to be the most collectible. I would choose between the regular profile and the funyuki based on your cutting style, which one would suit you the best. I push cut quite a lot and like a larger flat spot. All three are great knives but if I could only have one I'd get the kono.

It is reactive and it will patina . If you wipe it and care for it properly, rust won't be an issue. I think patina can look great on a knife. However, I keep this one polished.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 am 

If you are storing the knife for longer periods of time, wipe it down with mineral oil before storage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 am 

If its a present for a special occasion, look no further than the Kono Fuji. Regardless of price, that knife will always connect in a special way. PHD?! Spoil your self and get the Fuji Blue #2. You mentioned your HD2. I used to gawk at mine too. Now its just a great knife, as I gawk at my Fuji instead :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 am 

If you want to treat yourself to something special go for the Kono Fujiyama. I have the white #2 version and the fit and finish, the blade profile , grind and handle is at the head of the class. You deserve it, congradulations on receiving your PHD! The White #2 sharpens and hold it's edge very similarly to the blue#2. The white #2 Fuji is in stock now and it is less $'s than the blue2. If you wipe down the blade after use and do not let it sit around wet, maintenance is no problem. You can let the blade patina if you like the look, I like Red Wattle polish the blade with Bar Keepers Friend or Flitz when needed. It looks like new.

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next