It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser or Masakage Koishi?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:30 am 

taz575 wrote:I really like the Blue #2 versions over the White steel versions
Inquiring minds would love to hear why? :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 am 

proud owner of the 270 fujiama w#1 gyuto, and all I can say is _ easy decision, get the kono, its worth it. maybe there are other blades out there, some better some worse, but all need to be compared to something.
for the price you do have other knives to consider but I think any of the fujiama series will make you smile everytime you pick it up and cut something!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:17 am 
Forum Moderator

The blade road bevel is taller on the knife, which I like and I like the better edge retention of blue steels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:52 am 

Ineresting, I was under the impression they were all the same other than the steel. Thanks for the info Taz!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:34 pm 

I feel i should put a word in for the koishi. I love this knife. It is a killer performer and real head turner. By far it's my favorite out of all the knives I've handled. That being said, I have not handled either the richmond or the fujiyama, so i can't speak to the comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 am 

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm curious, B.B.C., if you could comment a bit more on the koishi. I have no doubt the Kono is a very special knife, but it is also the most expensive and the most like what I already have. Obviously, I'd love one, but I'm wondering if more variety would be more fun over time. I love the thinness and lightness of my Konos, but there are times where I wish (for variety) I had something a little more blade heavy and with a harder core steel. (My 240 Kono has an ebony handle, which actually shifts the balance back towards the handle by 1-2 cm). That said, I really like how you can feel the thinness of the Kono in everything you cut. So, BBC, can you compare the Koishi to a Kono HD in these regards? I know it is thicker at the top and thin behind the edge, but I'm wondering how thin it feels over all, and if it ever feels a bit wedge-y when cutting taller slides.

Since I'm a home cook, I'd also consider a 210 Koishi (which tend to run long) over the 240 Kono (which tend to run short). Any thoughts?

For everyone else: any thoughts on Blue #2 specifically in comparison to AS?

Thanks again for all the input! Thank goodness I don't have to rush on the Kono, it being out of stock, anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 am 

I love variety. I think you would love the Koishi, it would be a nice contrast to your Kono. AS will be more wear resistant and hold a better edge than Blue #2 but not by a great deal. I think a long 210 gyuto is a great knife to have in a home kitchen! Getting ready to go there myself, I have to many 240's and only one 210 which I am reaching for more often.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:05 am 

I've had a Kono blue 240 for a little under a year. Love the weight and the ebony handle/ferrule combo, the grind; nothing bad to say at all. I preferred the aggressive 'traditional' profile and look of the Aogami series which includes the ridge line (Shinogi) and the taller blade road, so that's what I decided on.

I think my next knife might be the Masamoto KS...or another Fuji blue 240 (for reserve). I maintain it every time I use it and it's kept patina free. I have let the core itself 'blue', because the clad line is so nice on these knives that I don't mind it. I also like how much exposed core they come with; a good half an inch or more.

Don't know much about the Masakage. I think my friend Todd has one(a chef), but he doesn't take it to work. :D

Good luck with your decision!

konosuke-fujiyama-blue-2-gyuto-and-sharpening-t5250-10.html

Post subject: Kono Blue #2 and Takeda
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:58 pm 

(This continues post "Re: Richmond Laser or Masakage Koishi?"

More good comments! The Kono Blue #2 240 is still at the top of my list, and the Richmond Laser in AS has basically dropped off (still looking forward to picking up a taller petty version, however!). I was recently caught off guard upon seeing a Takeda Sasanoha, however, which appears to come in a very long 215-225 length, has an AS core, and has a nice, short height at the heel. It sounds like it might be too light, however...and by that I mean a bit delicate at the spine (flex) and not as blade-heavy in balance as I might like. Any thoughts or experience with this knife, especially in comparison to the ultra-thin Kono Blue #2?

I'd also like to hear from Mark or others about the new handle possibilities for the Kono. I was looking forward to the beauty of the Ebony, but now there is talk of new combinations that might be cheaper and lighter (both great things, since I want a slightly more blade-heavy feel). Feel free to comment! (Perhaps this thread would end if the Konos ever came back in stock!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Salem - I just did a video on the Takeda AS Classic Sasanoha 240. I was surprised how thin and how flexible it was for a clad blade. I can't say how that translates in the 210 (medium) characteristics - never held one.

The only Kono Blue #2 that CKTG carries is the Fujiyama series, which are not ultra-thin at all. They are stiffer, with thicker spines than the HD, HH, White #1 thinner, laser style series. They have superb geometry and F&F.

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next