It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser AS 240 - First Look
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:32 am 

Also I sold those knives to coworkers that needed good knives. I am lucky tp work ina place were I call all the shots and I want my people to have the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:12 am 

Itching to get my hands on this. Thanks for the post and great pics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:42 pm 

You won't regret it. I got mine on the same day, July 5th, and it has now been through hundreds and hundreds of pounds of ingredients. I have sharpened it three times, and it comes back to life very quickly, and with a vengeance. This knife holds an edge like nothing I have ever used, also. It can go three or four days in a pro kitchen without even honing. The other day for example, our restaurant is catering a big event this weekend, so myself and one other cook had to do prep for about 750 kebabs. Onions, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, and sirloin tips.

My particular example is now every bit as nice as a Konosuke, because I've invested an hour or two into getting the blade just right. There was a minor flaw in the edge grind near the heel, where there was a bit of a hollow, fixed, I chipped off the tip ~2mm reprofiled the spine to shorten the knife just a hair, and made it a little pointier, moving the balance point a little closer to the handle, I have rounded all of the sharp edges nicely, and given it a mirror polish. The knife has spent so much time in my hands, that picking it up is no different than moving my fingers to type on a keyboard.

I haven't found a single knife that I'd rather have. I love the Masakage Yuki, but it's reactively clad which can be a pain in a pro kitchen. My next gyuto purchase will be a 270-300 though. Just have to wait for the right knife. I am tempted to get a 210 every once in awhile, but I just know I'd never use it. Anything less than 240 for a chefs knife seems silly to me. Especially with J knives, where a 240 only weighs in around six ounces.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 pm 

Thanks so much for this Doug. I am deliberating hard between the Masakage Yuki and the this AS Laser. I've left the pro kitchen for another career, but cater dinner parties, etc on weekends. It definitely won't see the work that my forschners did, which is a shame. I hadn't heard of the Yuki's reactivity problems (is it discolouration on food and smells that some carbon blades can have, or something else?).

Sounds like you really worked your blade to your liking. I appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm 

Oh, and I couldn't agree more about choosing a larger knife. The abundance of small knives is one of my pet peeves about non-professional cooks. Even if friends have quality blades (a rarity), they are inevitably too small. I work with a 255mm right now, and was also debating moving to a 270 JK, but I often work in cramped residential apartments now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Doug, you're awesome, dude :-)

Mark, the Yuki is stainless clad. Only the core Shirogami #2 is reactive. I'd say it's about average on reactivity. The AS Laser is a helluva lot of knife for the $.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:46 pm 

Good to see Doug's still loving it as much as I am. Obviously he goes through WAY more product than I ever could. I've only had it on the stones once just to touch it up and it's got a great edge. It's definitely a looker too especially when you get that great contrasting patina on the exposed core AS near the edge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm 

Thanks Steve. So you'd also recommend the Richmond over the yuki in this price range?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

It depends on what you're looking for in a knife. Yuki has more character, AS Laser has nicer steel and a thinner tip. The Anryu Hammered 240 also competes with these two. Right now, I'd probably take the Anryu over the Yuki, but not by a ton.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:36 pm 

Thanks so much SteveG. Just posted a general comment about these three in the recommendations forum.

Page 3 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next