It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser AS 240 - First Look
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:25 pm 

I was so excited about this knife I actually had it shipped to my Mothers house, 30 miles from home, because I was going to be there for the whole holiday weekend, and today. I've cooked six meals, and done countless appetizers, and party foods with it over the weekend, for as many as twenty five people and still today (family gathering, thursday through monday, really the only time of year we all get together). This knife hasn't left my hand, and it hasn't disappointed yet. Cant wait to use it at work. Cutting yukon gold potatoes with it this morning for tonights final dinner, and everyone knows how finely textured and wet they are, the awesome convex on this blade hasn't let me down yet. Cubing the potatoes was an in and out affair, and I got it done in a snap. Cant wait to get it home to some stones, and really get an edge on here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 pm 

Another tidbit. Got home last night, and took the knife to the stones. Still looking for my 3000 grit stone, which is where I think I'm going to keep this edge. Still off work today, so I'm making stuffed pork chops for dinner, and even at a 600 grit edge, the knife cut semi soft several day old bread for the stuffing into nice unsquished cubes. I had some plums in the drawer that were from before the weekend, so they were pretty soft, did a nice job on those as well, tossed them in with the bread, some celery, onion, sage, rosemary, salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, boom destroys boxed stuffing, picked up some nice inch and a half thick chops from the butcher, and got a bunch of cabbage at the farmers market on sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33 pm 

Just pulled the trigger on this knife . Can't wait your review did it for me thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:44 pm 

Cpeggs wrote:Just pulled the trigger on this knife . Can't wait your review did it for me thanks

Awesome, you'll love it. I want the matching 150 petty but gotta wait till they're back in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:57 am 

Cpeggs wrote:Just pulled the trigger on this knife . Can't wait your review did it for me thanks

Let everyone know what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 pm 

Ya I bought the maple one Wendsday. I actually paid 2day Fedex shipping. Then I go to the tracking on the Fedex site and estimated delivery is 4 days :lol: Being that I sold both my Kohetsu AS this leaves me using a house knife all weekend. :? Guess I should have coughed up the extra 20$ for overnight shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 am 

I think I remember those Kohetsus. Kicked myself for days for not buying one. Why did you sell *both* of them?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:53 am 

EnergizerBunny wrote:Ya I bought the maple one Wendsday. I actually paid 2day Fedex shipping. Then I go to the tracking on the Fedex site and estimated delivery is 4 days :lol: Being that I sold both my Kohetsu AS this leaves me using a house knife all weekend. :? Guess I should have coughed up the extra 20$ for overnight shipping.

The "white handle" blues. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:22 am 

What Lepus said...

I was really really looking at the Kohetsu AS as one potential for my next buy... (I can't throw money at this stuff like candy, my hope is to buy one knife that fits and lasts for years, in it's niche...)

After playing with the Megumi for a week it's a nice knife but not what I was looking for -- I.e. VG10 stainless etc... I really enjoy sharpening and learning and working, and this knife isn't really going to give me that experience, because it's going to hold a reasonably sharp edge for a long-arse time. Lol. Damn I wish the Megumi was carbon core... I feel like I've learned what I need to from VG-10 from my Shun sharpening hours... even though this does NOT RESPOND or feel like Shun VG-10, I attributed some of that to the awesome grind.

So I was really looking forward to maybe your Kane as an AS knife if not shiro or blue steel. Curious why you'd part with it, as that knife is something I was looking up to.

Though my heart has me wanting a Kanehiro AS 240... I think my time with this second VG-10 steers me even further in that direction. Oh wait, I think that's another post. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 am 

The kohetsu AS were good knives I just my heart set on the laser AS and it was sold out when I bought them.

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next