It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond laser Aogami super VS Masamoto CT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi. Currently, I am using a Masomoto Gyuto virgin carbon steel. Can you tell me the difference between these two knives before I place an order? Thank you.

Emilio

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond laser Aogami super VS Masamoto CT
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:21 pm 

I don't know the exact steel in the CT series, but from what I can see it is a high carbon content steel. If it is a virgin steel as well, I'd guess it would be similar to Hitachi white #1. Very high carbon content with pretty much no alloys, very refined and possibly able to take one of the best edges that can be put on a knife. Aogami Super would have more alloys so it would have better wear resistance/edge retention and arguably not take quite as good an edge, though I'm not sure it is something one would really be able to notice other than it might take a little longer to get screaming sharp. I'm not saying it is hard to sharpen (AS is a carbon steel, so it should not be hard to do), but white #1 seems to get sharper if you blow on it the right way... lol ;)

Comparing the 240mm gyutos (to keep a fair comparison) the spine thicknesses between the two knives are close (2.6mm for the Masamoto CT, 3mm for the AS Laser) but the laser is lighter by about 2 ounces (5.6oz vs 7.9oz). That could be a combination of the wa handle of the Laser vs. the western handle of the Masamoto (wa handled knives tend to be lighter) and possibly a thinner overall grind of the blade. It could be just because of the handle though. The balance point of the AS Laser should be more blade heavy because of the lighter handle and no bolster. I am guessing that if you compare the 210mm versions of both knives, you'd probably find very similar of not the same differences.

All that being said, I believe Aogami Super is actually more popular and desirable to many people for kitchen knives (professional in particular) because of the edge it takes, ease of sharpening, and how long it can hold it. Kind of like the Caddilac of carbon steels in kitchen knives. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Masamoto CT uses a generic carbon steel. It's about like Hitachi's Yellow series carbon steels. It's nothing great, but it's a good carbon steel.

Now, if what you have is the HC, and you're thinking about getting the CT....it's not really all that much different of a knife. The steel is a tad bit different, but not worth getting one if you already have the other unless you're after a near clone.

The comparison between the AS Laser and the CT is quite different.

The obvious stuff:

The Laser is stainless clad, carbon core whereas the CT is solid carbon
The Laser is wa handled, whereas the CT is western handled
The Laser uses a higher end steel with it's AS core. It will get sharper and stay sharper longer than the steel in the CT.

The not so obvious stuff:

The Laser is thinner behind the edge

These are two completely different knives. Each great in their own way, but I'd buy the AS Laser over the Masamoto CT every day.....but that's a personal choice.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:54 pm 

Listen to Adam... he knows things... more things than I do... especially since he makes knives. lol ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Totally +1 with Adam.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:06 am 

OK, you guys quit sucking up to Adam.....even though he is right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:22 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks for bringing me back down Jeff....I was getting a big head for a minute!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 am 

To be completely honest, it doesn't take much knowledge to know more than I do about Japanese knives... :P lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark. Thank you for posting my inquiry on your forum. What kind of water stones do you use for this knife? I have a 1200 & 8000 grit water stones. Will these work or not? Is the edge of this knife a 70/30 or 50/50?

Emilio

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Use what you have. Use the 1200 mostly and only a light touch up with the 8k.

The edge is more or less even. You can sharpen it evenly.

If you're interested in another stone I would recommend something like the green brick to slot in between the 2 you own but it's not necessary.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]