It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Richmond Laser 210mm petty AEB-L
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm 

I have been waffling about this knife for a little while. I couldn't figure out if I would love it, because it is petty weight, with near sujihiki reach, or if I would hate it because it's too big to be agile, and too short to excel at slicing.

So back and forth I went, vacillating like a Carnival cruise ship in hurricane season, 270-300mm Suji, 210mm Gyuto, or 210mm petty? At home I use a 240mm Gyuto almost exclusively. At work I cycle through my Gyuto, 150, and 120mm petty's depending on what I'm doing. Cold prep? Gyuto and 150. Hot prep? Gyuto almost exclusively, Line? mostly my 120mm petty, unless I'm at the salad station, then I use the 150.

I finally got off the pot and ordered the 210mm Richmond Laser Petty, with the intention of giving it a fair shake, because I love the idea of it, and I have read some pretty glowing commentary about 180-210mm petty's. It arrived this morning, along with some other treats, like a kangaroo strop, .25µ Diamond paste, a diamond plate, and the veho USB microscope that I plan to integrate into my sharpening business.

So I quickly and eagerly tore into the packaging and pulled out a rather unassuming looking knife... as I was taking off the paper sheath, I lost my grip on the handle, and the knife fell all of three inches onto the palm of my right hand, edge first... Two cuts, on the pad and pinky finger, not bad, but I had the immediate and very direct realisation that this knife was sharp... Very sharp.

I picked it back up, and immediately checked for the balance with a pinch grip, it is dead on. Right to the handle side of the Richmond logo. Second I checked out the blade profile. It is a sujihiki type profile, it is not a tall knife, and it is not a petite gyuto, it comes to a very sharp point, and has a very gently continuous curve throughout the blade, she's definitely a chopper. Next I checked out blade flex. Being mono steel it does have a nice bit of flex to it, and that is a good thing.

Now I obviously had to run it through some ingredients, up first came the one handed tomato test, because it's just fun to do. No problem whatsoever. The factory edge grind is a bit toothy, so it goes right into the skin, and it's plenty sharp enough to draw right through the flesh. Next, carrot butterflies. This is possibly the best knife I've ever used for making more intricate garnishes. It is essentially a long razor blade, and it's so light you literally get the feeling that you are not holding a tool, but instead just using another part of your body. It really melts into your hand, and quickly.

Fit and finish on this knife is better than my Richmond Laser AS 240mm Gyuto was out of the box. The spine is nicely relieved, and the choil area is very clean and slightly rounded. Not Konosuke like, but very nice, I probably won't change it, I do not like light coloured wa handles, so I probably will refinish the handle, and matte down the ferrule a bit for better moist grippage. The machi is tall, it is the entire diameter of the inside of the ferrule, and the handle is nicely filled surrounding the tang. This is a very well made knife, and I will probably order a saya for it at some point, just to protect that tip.

The grind appears to have a bit of convex to it, but on a knife this thin, it's pretty hard to give it a meaningful convex anyway, the blade is not very tall, so there isn't a ton of surface area for food to stick to to begin with.

My impression. I never should have waffled about this at all. I dislike 210mm gyuto's because they just don't provide enough blade length for their weight (IMOP), Even 240 is just a little short of ideal, which I think would be around 255mm or roughly 10". However, 210 mm suits a petty blade perfectly. It is feather light, accurate, and very nimble, this knife is definitely a ballet dancer on the board.

Of course within a couple hours of having it, I took it straight to the stones. The AEBL sharpens quickly and easily, I mirrored the factory grind, and took it through 2000, 3000, 6000, and kangaroo with .25µ diamond paste. Under 20x magnification there are only the slightest striations from the strop, the knife easily shaves arm hair, and does one handed paper thin tomato slices.

I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser 210mm petty AEB-L
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm glad you like the 210 Petty. We don't get much feedback on these. Thanks for the well written review.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm 

Thanks, I really like it. This thing rocks bell peppers and chiles like a boss... I have read elsewhere that 180-210mm Petty's were really great, but I worried it would be clumsy. This is where leaving the mini Gyuto blade profile behind comes into play. The suji shape keeps the weight shockingly low, this could be a pretty good filet knife. I can already tell that my 150 is going to lose out on the salad station, this knife is far more versatile.

This is going to do nicely for quick trims on ribeye, and we use colossal onions in the shop, so it's got plenty of reach for that too. Nice for when prep runs out, and there's no time to run and dig my Gyuto out during service.

I would not hesitate to buy this again, now I just have to start pinching pennies so I can snag a Fernandez 118, just got the email that there back in stock, but might have to wait for a wa handle, and a bit of wallet cool down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:55 pm 

I have one 210 mm petty in 2N carbon steel (whatever that is, it is a Kanetsune) that I do enjoy using. It is just a teeny bit short vertically for board use (I need my hand off the edge of the board) and a little too flexible despite not having much distal taper to speak of. However, the size is terribly convenient for small slicing tasks. I haven't used it much in the hand.

I'm glad you have posted a review of this knife because I honestly did not even know Richmond offered it until I read your post. And your observations confirm what I have read elsewhere about how useful short suji's/long pettys can be. I'd like to see the shape offered in AS, but there are other options for carbon such as Moritaka and Kono. It seems like the main competitor to the Laser 210 mm petty on CKTG is the Suisin Inox series at ~$100 more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 am 

estayton wrote: It seems like the main competitor to the Laser 210 mm petty on CKTG is the Suisin Inox series at ~$100 more.

This is really what in the end got me. If I were going to get a 210 Gyuto, I've already made myself promise to get a Kono, so I saved myself some money there, because I don't really like 8" chefs knives, I think that is woefully short, even for home work, but it's very tempting for line work. My next gyuto will be a 270 or 300 with a custom handle.

The 210 mm petty on the other hand, feels great. I use it on the board with no trouble, just as I do my 150 and 12mm petty's. In hand you have to tell yourself to keep your face out of the way, thats a pretty long blade! All said, this knife is truly a short sujihiki. It's a laser to be sure, and the level of quality is extremely high for the price tag. I couldn't see spending another hundred dollars for a knife from one of the makers that get so much love here and elsewhere, I use my knives in a professional kitchen as well as at home, they probably get 100x the use if not 1000x the use of a typical home cook, justifying a pretty knife becomes difficult at a certain price point. AEBL is a great steel, I have to sharpen and hone often, so having a quick sharpening steel that can take a really nice 18-19 degree edge is very important to me. I will end up buying a very nice 270mm gyuto at some point, but once again, my Richmond AS laser is a killer knife for the dollars. This new taste of AEBL, is really impressing me, and makes me wish there was a kikuichi warikomi 270mm gyuto... That would be killer with a custom carbon fibre and burl handle... :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 am 

Spine shot. The blade is super thin to begin with, not a whole lot to grind.

The blade has a nice satin brushed finish, it's actually more handsome than I thought it would be.

The handle is quite large for a petty handle, reflecting it's "super petty" length. Octagonal is my favorite cut, and this is only slightly smaller and about an inch shorter than the handle on my gyuto.

Edge profile. Very nice continuous curve from heel to tip.

There's the very sujihiki like tip. This knife is born to draw cut and slice.

Yes, I accidentally dragged it across a 2,000 grit polishing tape.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 am 

Good review Doug. Nice to see a review on a long petty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 am 

I did 5 lbs of mirepoix with it this evening, for pasta sauce I'll make tomorrow (no canned sauce for me). And the knife performed very nicely. It has lost a bit of edge, but it is stainless, my AS gyuto did the same job last week, and it showed little to no sign of dulling. I can definitely tell the difference in hardness between AEBL and Aogami Super. I can also say with a fair bit of confidence that blue #2 also holds an edge a little better. That's ok though. The knife is still very sharp, it's just not shave your gentleman's region sharp. Really digging this knife. I have read a couple reviews around the internet for 180 and 210mm petty's and everyone seems to like them, and I am right there with them. Cool knife, its going to fill the suji role for me too, and it is going to do just fine for proteins. I work tomorrow night, so we'll see how it handles a wednesday night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:12 pm 

Awesome timing on this review, I was just thinking about adding a 180mm petty to my kit for the line, I did a new menu item the other week and now I'm slicing constantly, but my 300mm is far too long, a carving station knife only. My 150mm wants to be just a little longer for the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 pm 

Dan--> I bought a 210mm Kono white#2 petty for when my 300mm suji was to much knife. Just like the gyutos it's about 203mm on the edge. I use it a lot more than I thought I would!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next