It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser 210mm petty AEB-L
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:26 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Dan--> I bought a 210mm Kono white#2 petty for when my 300mm suji was to much knife. Just like the gyutos it's about 203mm on the edge. I use it a lot more than I thought I would!

Not to jack the review, but I was eyeing a W#2 fujiyama. I'm dirt poor this week though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 am 

I should imagine so. A bartender would have cut you off two knives ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

No worries on hijacking. Don't be afraid of the richmond though. I was very impressed with the fit and finish, considering what my Richmond AS gyuto looked like out of the box. The grind is better on the mono steel laser, the fit and finish is better, and frankly for $180 it is a good knife. I had to slice about 15 tomatoes quickly during service last night for plating burgers, and I took this knife on the line with me at the start of the shift. Did everything I needed it to, aleo had to trim a couple porterhouses on the filet side, and the knife just glided through, and impressed me with how accurate it is with that microscopic tip. I'm glad I went with the 210, the Kono HD 180 was my other selection, and now that I have the 210, I wouldn't trade it for the 180, which is probably closer to a 170. The knife is so light, and the balance point is Right on the blade side of the machi, so the knife doesn't have a gyuto like tip bias, it doesn't lead you into a cut at all, it wants to know where to go like a well trained upuppy on a leash. Like I said in the review, I was considering getting a sujihiki instead, I'm glad I didn't. This knife cuts everything you point it at, soft bread? No problem, and no tearing. Meat? eats it alive. Veggies? If you like roll cutting peppers, this knife was born for it.

I'm sure the konosuke would give you the same feeling. I wanted stainless for this knife for the occasion when there wouldn't be time to wipe it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:55 pm 

Longer thin knives definitely have their place at every stage. I use a 270mm sujihiki in much the same way for a lot of prep. It's more than everyone else here is talking about, but the ability to get into smaller spaces with a very light knife is decidedly nice.

I'm seriously considering one of these for the line now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm 

Feeling the vibes.... I've been eyeing the Kono and Richmond petty options for a little while now. This thread is making me want one even more. BUDGET woes :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 pm 

Used the knife this week for trimming tenderloin into filet, cutting sirloin steaks, and trimming up ribeye. Performed flawlessly. In total about 300lbs of meat processed and fabricated. It is awesome for silver skin on filet. The little bits that you miss can just be shaved right off. The knife held it's edge pretty well, not getting noticeably duller until the 4 hour mark or so, ceramic hone brings it back pretty well. More to come this next week.

Tossed it on the edge pro, 2000, 3000, 6000, .5µ progression, and phone book paper push cutting is once again no problem. AEBL sharpens scary quick, and it takes a SCREAMING edge (the name of my sharpening business, incidentally).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:49 am 

Glad the knife is working out for you Doug, I thought it might be a good fit. A long petty can be real handy at times.
We'll have Dan buying one soon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:56 am 

The other guy working in the butchery cooler was using a 14" white handle slicer, and was getting mad because I could draw right through whole ribeye logs without issue, and he had to saw away.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2