It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Richmond AS Laser Sujis are on deck
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:10 am 

nelsgee is right, the first handled ones showed up and sold out. My guess is there are more with being handled and they will restock quickly. If you see 'em in stock, and want one, jump on it instantly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 am 

I've been waiting for these for awhile. I check the "new arrivals" at least 3 times a day. Once in the morning before work, once after work and again after dinner. Today I check the website as usual in the morning and no Richmond sujihiki. I get home from work today and check the website again and the Richmond AS sujihiki is up but says out of stock. All with in a Span of less than 7 hours. Wtf. Mark is like all the girls in my high school....... Tease. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 am 
Forum Moderator

They flew out of stock quickly! I am working on the handle for mine, Bog Oak and Blue Redwood :) Tanaka R2 handle is just about done, too. Pics later today!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 pm 

I grabbed a no handle one while the getting was good.
I will post photos once the handle is on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

I have a few more getting handled right now. Isaiah can only do about a dozen a week so I have to spread it around.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kinda pulled a 180 on this one. Orig plan was Starry Night (Black and Blue handle), but that handle went back quickly, so I had this one lying around so I figured I would use it. Gold Buckeye Burl ferrule and end cap and Red Maple Burl; Red dyed and stabilized wood tends to turn out Dark Pink instead of actual red. Oh well, I can always replace it when I get tired of seeing RED!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 pm 

Pretty!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 pm 

Taz, I know you are a wizard at this stuff.
Given the color of the red maple burl, IMHO you should of used a black ferrule and end cap. I think it might tone down the pinkish color of the red maple.
It would also serve to make the colors "POP" a little more.

I have this exact blade out having a new handle installed. I bought it without the handle.
I will post a photo and we can compare.
The handle shape is great, looks like it will really help balance that long blade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

It was a pre finished handle, not intended for this knife; it was originally going on a 270mm Blazen converted to a Wa handle, hence the larger size to balance the bigger blade. The customer originally ordered the gold ferrule and end cap and red maple burl. I tried 3 different oil finishes to see which would be the darkest on the red and it was still pink. I didn't feel like removing the ferrule and end cap, redrilling the dowel, trying to fit the ferrule/end cap to an already beveled handle portion, etc. I had to clean up the ferrule, make the tang slot a bit wider (and correct the swelled dowel inside so it would line up with the blade properly) and install it. Figured I would use a handle I had around here instead of making a second new handle after the first one didn't work out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:49 pm 

Time is money Taz, That handle appears very functional and comfortable on a larger blade.
Mine is coming soon, I am anxious to compare notes on actually using this bad boy to cut meat, instead of fussing over custom handles.

Page 5 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next