It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Richmond Artifex Wa-Gyuto or something else?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:32 am 

ok, to be highly specific. I'd like to experience a badass knife. I can always use the in-house kitchen knifes for frozen food or tough-skins like butternut squash if need be. I want something that releases from food with ease, and can take a really keen edge. I prep on full sheet tray size cutting boards so a 240mm will work for me. In the 200 plus range: I am leaning towards the konosuke line, just because they seem to garnish a ton of praise and are a good value (ie. not outrageously priced). Whats the difference between the hh and the hd line? Are the ebony handle worth the extra money? If I were to go towards the 200 and under: how does the takayuki tsuchime gyuto differ from the grand cheff? (ie, same steel? same performance?) Is the composition of the ultimatum's steel better than the aeb-l that's on the takayuki line, or simply, which do you prefer?
thanks as always,
Eric

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:34 am 
Forum Moderator

MISTER ERIC <> Alright, now we're phucking getting somewhere! ;)

"I'd like to experience a badass knife." Good, cuz CKTG has scores of them, and we're going to narrow in on one just for you. :twisted:

"I can always use house knives for frozen food or tough-skins like butternut squash if need be." FYI: It's not just the skin that is an issue, but even the stiff dense nature of the flesh in roots like boniato, super fresh yucca, horseradishes, etc. A torquing motion creating lateral force on the edge even within the flesh can molest an acute edge.

"I want something that releases from food with ease, and can take a really keen edge." Harder steel with a distinct convex or laser design. Check.

"I prep on full sheet pan sized cutting boards so a 240mm will work for me." And so will a 270, do you prefer a 240?

"Whats the difference between the hh and the hd line?" The HH is heat treated to Hrc61, the same as the HD line, but the HH is a fully stainless-steel while the HD is a semi-stainless steel. The elemental proportions (c:cr:mo:mn:etc.) of the HD alloy are a proprietary secret, but consensus dictates, and I concur from personal experience, the HD steel is from the damn gods. It [HD], for all practical purposes (at equal Hrc), gets as sharp as carbon as easily as carbon, IMO has better edge retention than carbon. I have numerous carbon steels & both versions of the HD alloy & my HD's outlast my carbon edges. It also, edges out the HH in edge retention as the HH compromises there for a better corrosion resistance, but we're not talking anything dramatic here.

The beauty with HD steel though, is you don't have to deal as vigilantly with the carbon-care you are so wary of. They are effectively stainless blades, but they do develop a patina... slowly. I'm learning I have to clarify - it is not a patina like you'd expect on a full carbon because it is obviously not a full carbon. It will become a dull dark grey. It will stain from water; meaning if you leave water droplets on it after wiping/washing, you will see the marks where they dried. It will not corrode all the way to a rust - with even a modicum of care, but it will oxidize to an extent.

The HH is fully stainless & therefore idiot proof. Both series are made by the same blacksmith so they are as identical in profile & geometry as a hand made blade can be.

"Are the ebony handle worth the extra money?" That depends on if you like the additional weight that they carry, as they are slightly more heavy & if you like the died black look. I do not... at all.. at any time. Personally, I can't stand them, but I'm just one man.

"how does the takayuki tsuchime gyuto differ from the grand cheff?" The hammered has a "damascus" cladding, not much more than a suminagashi etching with no functional value. They are both similar in profile, but the Grand Chef is slightly taller, by a millimeter, and is 5mm shorter on the edge. Biggest difference, in performance, is the Tsuchime is harder @Hrc60 while the softer Grand Chef is a more malleable/durable Hrc58. I have not used them both so I can not speak beyond these facts.

"Is the composition of the ultimatum's steel better than the aeb-l that's on the takayuki line, or simply, which do you prefer?" Interesting question, for me. I have, own, & use 19c27 steel, but not treated by Lamson like the Ultimatum's. Irrespective of that, you are comparing a Mercedes to a BMW. These are premium stainless steels, and your ability to distinguish the nuance of difference between them is - with no disrespect - unlikely. Does 19c27 hold an edge better than AEB-L... probably. Does AEB-L sharpen more easily... probably. Are there drastic, dramatic, & distinct differences... not really.

In closing, I think if you want a Laser with its benefits & definite limitations... buy the HD - it IS from the G-ds.
If you want a more well-rounded performer with a nice convex grind like we touched upon earlier, particularly suited for the demands of a professional kitchen, the Ultimatum is your go-to. FYI: don't sleep on it, they'll both be out of stock in a second... Final note: The Kono is about 235 on the edge @48mm tall while the Lamson is a cm longer & a couple mm's shorter - that might matter to you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

Ordered: Konosuke 240mm ho handle. Excited: me. Is this the most money I have ever spent on a knife? By far... If I could only go back to being happy with non-sharp, non-balanced, non-brilliant knives. Therein lies the dilemma-- wish me happy slicing.
Thanks for your assistance,
Eric

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm 

Ooooohh.....it's only just begun! :twisted:

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2