Switch to full style
Post a reply

Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello

a while back you recommend the shapton glass 8K to step from my stock 1000 to my .25 dimon spray.


well my stock are wore down and i have to adjust/check the angel on EVERY stone.

I want to make a set of the glass stones

can i go 320 > 1000 > 4000 > 8000 > 16000

or do i need to get every stone?

--
Andrew

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Subtract the 16K if you're using just kitchen knives. 8k will whittle hair if you do it right.

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:26 pm

I want the 16K because I really like a few of my knives to have that ultra bright polish on them (me nad guy work compete a lot lol) and i like the polish on my pocket knives.

I only one one kitchen knife, its the Richmond 240 from you, the wife loves it :) she likes the high polish on it, i have another cheap knife (going to remedy this soon) that i only take to 1000.


I did see the kit you have and i think my copy that- i have the 8K already

320 > 500 > 1000 > 4000 > 8000 > 16000 > strop with .25 diamond spray

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:34 pm

I would skip the 500, not necessary after the 320, and get the 2000. It's a more versatile stone and a good place to stop on most kitchen knives. Will also remove the 1k scratches much faster and make for less work with the 4k.

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I would go.... 500 , 1k , 2k , 4k , 8k

From here you can either get 1 micron CBN or Diamond , or the 16k
After that you can either get the 30k or some .5micron CBN or Diamond

That will give you a nice clean progression leading to your .25 diamond spray. Leaving you with a true.25 micron finish , instead of a polished 8k finish. 8k-60k is too big of a jump.

What are you stropping with right now? I like roo and nanocloth ,but some people like balsa.

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Jeff B wrote:I would skip the 500, not necessary after the 320, and get the 2000. It's a more versatile stone and a good place to stop on most kitchen knives. Will also remove the 1k scratches much faster and make for less work with the 4k.


DOh i already place the order, the 2K is out of stock right now :(

I have been going from the 1K EP stone to the 8K GS so I'm use to the work !! LOL


so i will have the 320, 500, 1000, 4000, 8000, 16000

I like the polish on my pocket knives and wood working stuff (whittling really I'm no master wood worker or anything lol)

I'll add the 2K once its back in stock. may add the 220 later on to re-profiles/chips and such, be my repair stone......

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Sadden wrote:I would go.... 500 , 1k , 2k , 4k , 8k

From here you can either get 1 micron CBN or Diamond , or the 16k
After that you can either get the 30k or some .5micron CBN or Diamond

That will give you a nice clean progression leading to your .25 diamond spray. Leaving you with a true.25 micron finish , instead of a polished 8k finish. 8k-60k is too big of a jump.

What are you stropping with right now? I like roo and nanocloth ,but some people like balsa.



see above

I'm use the Nano Cloth 1X6 strop right now with my .25 diamond spray

do you use the nano cloth wet or dry? it seems to work better wet for me....

Re: Replacing used stones.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Finish with the glass cleaning cloth!!! :)

Re: Replacing used stones.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:53 pm

I've never felt the need to wet my nanocloth. Dr Matt does but this is very important.

Only use Deionized water. You want clean water. 2 reasons.

A) you do not want any salt or mineral deposits on your strop.
B) You do not want the electrical charge of the water to cause particle agglomeration.

Ill reiterate. This is very important!

Some people will say that the 500gs is a waste of money. I say that if your chasing a mirror its a good stone to have.

Re: Replacing used stones.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Sadden wrote:I've never felt the need to wet my nanocloth. Dr Matt does but this is very important.

Only use Deionized water. You want clean water. 2 reasons.

A) you do not want any salt or mineral deposits on your strop.
B) You do not want the electrical charge of the water to cause particle agglomeration.

Ill reiterate. This is very important!

Some people will say that the 500gs is a waste of money. I say that if your chasing a mirror its a good stone to have.

i dont put water on it i just respray it (one little spray in the middle to get it damp)
Post a reply