It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replacing my crap knives from school.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I am a culinary art student. I am still using my knife set that I bought from school. God knows I hate them. My friend told me about your web side.He purchased few knife from you. Well he has more money than I have. So he bought nicer or more expensive knives. Since this is my first carbon knife and first japanese knife I would like to buy cheaper knife that I can get use to it.Yamashin White #1 Gyuto 210mm great for me. I have couple questions. First of all I have no idea how to sharpen a knife. Can you sharpen the knife for me. Also I would like to buy a saya for it too. I don't know which one will fit the best. Thank you for your time.
Great day
B

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Replacing my crap knives from school.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I can't stress this enough to you. Get a stone and learn to sharpen. You can learn the basics in about 5 minutes and you should be able to get a working edge on your knife in 2-3 tries. There is no excuse and you will have sharp knives for the rest of your life if you learn. Also, if you work in pro kitchens you can make a good side business and earn lots of friends by offering to sharpen your sharpening ignorant mates.

So get this stone: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

That is really all you need to get started.

The Yamashin is an easy knife to sharpen and it's inexpensive so I think it's a perfect choice for you if you want a starter carbon steel knife.

If you have questions about sharpening first look at my video sharpening tutorials on our website and then come back here and ask any questions you might have. There are a bunch of excellent sharpeners on this forum and we'll be happy to help you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]