It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Removing light rust without scratching the blade.
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi…I’ve bought a few knives from you all…very happy…but wonder what the best way to remove light rust from high carbon steel blade? I know I could use fine steel wool…but, if there is another method you recommend that won’t scratch the blade—I’d love hear about it. Also, how do you recommend preventing rust when knife isn’t being used—drying it of course…but, maybe a very light coat of vegetable oil or something like that? Thanks!!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Removing light rust without scratching the blade.
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOHN DOE <> Vegetable oil will turn rancid. If you choose to oil, use mineral or camelia <--link.

I won't speak to the non scratch method as it depends on what finish knife is in question. Rust erasers<-- link may be an option.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi James,

+1 on what melampus said about oil. If you use the knife daily rancidity is not an issue but in general most people use food safe oils that won't oxidize as quickly like camelia oil or mineral oil.

For the rust removal issue, technically almost anything you use the remove metal will "scratch" the blade, otherwise it won't work. That's kind of a wise ass answer though since you're really talking about polishing the knife so it looks good.

Try this 3,000 grit rust remover. You can see by the photo the look of the carbon steel blade after it was polished with it: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3krurebl.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:46 pm 

I would first try some polishing compound on a rag, mothers mag polish or some chromium oxide would work well.

Rust needs iron, oxygen, and water to form, take any of the three away and it has no way of forming. Personally, I don't like to oil my blades because I use most of my cutlery and I don't want to have to clean them before use. I always clean and dry my knives after use and have never experienced rust.

Long term storage of months or years and I would take the extra precautions but for a blade that's used at least once a week simply wash, dry, repeat.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 pm 

Try Simichrome or Flitz rubbed on lightly with a gun-cleaning patch or other soft flannel.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm 

I would be careful with flitz, it will scratch a high gloss surface.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

...like I said, "I won't speak to the non scratch method as it depends on what finish knife is in question." ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:43 pm 

Use a green nylon dish washing pad with bar keepers friend. It will take all the rust off but also remove patina...just patina it over again.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:19 am 

Ok, so this is a trick I learned a long time ago for restoring old schwinn bikes to get the pepper rust off handlebars, rims, etc.. Oil and foil. For bikes it's aerokroil and foil. For my niwaki tools, which are mostly blue steel and couple of white laminates, I use camellia oil and foil. Just last night one my old chef friends stopped by with let's just say, a very old over-patinad carbon blade, so I asked him if I could spruce it up. I use a little wad of heavy foil and a little oil with not too much pressure cause I didn't want show too much new metal. He was happy and after the singin' new edge was put on even happier. He just called an hour ago giddy cause he was cutting see through veg ha ha. Wish I had known this thread was going, I woulda shoulda coulda took pics. Oh well it's a tip that has served me well over the years. The only thing that I will say about it in the negative is once the living organism that we know as rust has established its bad self in metal, the pit also known as its house is still there, so blooming may reappear. If you can get some ospho or phosphoric acid on a toothpick and apply to said pit it will encapsulate the offender. Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]