It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommendation for San Diego?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:25 pm 

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Richmond Artifex and forgot to request the additional sharpening when I placed the order. The factory edge needs some help. I don't want to invest in stones at the moment.

Does anyone here live in San Diego and have a place they recommend that does a good job on the 15 degree type edge on the Artifex?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jerry

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for San Diego?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:59 pm 

Hello Jerry,

I'm somewhat of a newbie myself when it comes to quality Japanese knives, but I think being able to sharpen your own knife is a great thing and is very rewarding. If you are intimidated by it don't be. BTW I was too. There are lots of great videos and good people to ask questions that will be more than happy to answer them.

Mark has some good starter sets available. You don't need a bunch of stones. 3 stones will be sufficient for everything and you could start with just one stone. This would be all you would ever need. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

On sale too. You could use the money you would spend on a sharpening service and shipping towards this set and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Sending out a knife to get it sharpened every few months would be a pain for me.

Do yourself a favor and get a set of stones. You will thank me later. If you are still set on sending it out you could send it to JKI. They are in California.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/abo ... harpening/

Dave

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for San Diego?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 pm 

For the cost of shipping and sharpening you could have a stone and be maintaining your own blade. A King 1k is about $30 and can yield a very good cutting edge.

Getting a knife professionally sharpened is not a bad idea though. It will give you a starting point to judge sharpness.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]