It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ran into a collar stop problem - need help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:35 pm 

This is regarding the APEX model.

I received the magnet, spring and collar from CKTG yesterday. Epoxied the magnet in place with 5 minute epoxy and installed the spring. They seem like nice additions to the EP. A Kanehiro that was last years Christmas present finally needed sharpening. I decided, with advice from Mark, to sharpen at 12*. Here is what happened:

Set-up the EP, and using a Craftsman digital level, I zeroed the level on the bed of the EP, installed my first stone, and set the angle to 12*. I did notice that the pivot block was a ways underneath the red mark, which made sense. I then removed the stone to place between the collar and the pivot block...BUT THERE AS NOT ENOUGH SPACE.

I sure never anticipated that problem. So, I put the collar flat against bed, and raised the pivot block high enough to get the stone between the Pivot Block and the collar. I then looked at my angle, and it was 13.7*.

My assumption is that 13.7* is about as low of an angle you can get with the "collar" trick.

Am I missing something, or is my set-up wrong? Just looking at where the 10* Black mark is on the EP pivot block rod, it doesn't look like this will work. I sure didn't see anything about this issue when doing my research.

Well, I just found this on the stop collar review page:

By: Jason Jennings
Austin,TX
Pretty good solution for the stone width issue w/ EP. Will say might be more useful on EP pro than Apex,as the most acute sharpening angle you can achieve with thick stones like Shapton when using the stop collar is 13.6º
So, I guess I will remove the collar, and just reset the pivot block to 12* for each stone. Is that the only solution?

Thanks,

Smokinjoe

Post subject: Re: Ran into a collar stop problem - need help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 am 
Forum Moderator

You can remove the drill stop collar and place the stone on the bottom. That's the lowest you can go with this trick. Use the thinnest stone to choose the angle. Thicker stones can go a bit lower.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 pm 

Well, I retired the collar. I will just set the angle on the first stone, and thereafter on each successive stone. I usually only sharpen one knife per session, so it's not that big of a deal. The magnet and spring work nicely though.

Smokinjoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 am 

smokinjoe wrote:Well, I retired the collar. I will just set the angle on the first stone, and thereafter on each successive stone. I usually only sharpen one knife per session, so it's not that big of a deal. The magnet and spring work nicely though.

Smokinjoe

Using a level to set the angle with each stone isn't a big deal like you said. But, once you get used to the collar going to using the level is a bit of a pain. You are right on about the problem with lower angles. With those I don't even use the level. If you get used to using the EP without a collar, level or anything else to make things easier it's really not a big deal to get the angle right between stones of different thickness by feel and judgement when you adjust it. I did that for about two years before I got a collar or level. Actually, after using the collar for the next stone I still need to make micro-adjustments. I may not be hitting the bevel perfectly. I'm not sure why. But, getting VERY close using the collar is something I've gotten used to and won't stop using it now. But if I had to it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The spring is great. I even ordered a second one in case the first one gets lost or something.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]