Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm
Hey guys, beginner sharpener here. My set up is 1.2k bester and 5k rika.
1. Should I always draw a burr on the 5k stone?
2. After finishing on the 5 k do I de-burr and I'm done?
3. How do you test the sharpness? Just use some veggies? I've been doing the paper test and the mnife doesn't start the cut in the paper well but makes a smooth cut when it gets started
Anything else you think I should know feel free to add it
Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm
1. Yes, but learning to tell when you have is difficult at this grit level. Grab a dry paper towel and pull the side of the edge you think the burr is on (opposite side of the side you're been grinding on) across the paper towel laterally (heel to tip). Sometimes doing this allows you to feel the burr grabbing the fibers of the paper towel easier than your fingers do. Hope that makes sense.
2. Yes, you can be done. You should have a very sharp knife.
3. Paper, hanging hair, tomato, wet paper towel....I've pretty well learned to test sharpness with anything lying around.
Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm
I would deburr after the Rika 5K. I use a piece of leather (rough side of it) and I rubbed some White compound into it months ago, not sure if it is still working the compound or not, but I've also used the smooth plain side with about equal results. Gives an edge that will shave and still slice down a paper towel easily and cleanly.
Adam's suggestion on the burr feel is great, I use a paper towel or microfiber towel and it works great at picking up the burrs off the finer grit stones.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.