It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Purchasing knives and edge pro.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there!

I’ve spent some time on your site and elsewhere on the internet and I think I’m nearly ready to make a purchase. I’m hoping to get your thoughts on a few things. I have a combination of Shun knives and some German ones. In general, I take pretty good care of my knives. I wash and dry regularly, and knives typically don’t get any damage. I mostly hone knives with a steel and I’ve been sending the knives out for sharpening when needed.

1) I’m thinking about an Edge Pro sharpening kit (with Chosera stones). I’m a sharpening newbie. I don’t mind spending a little time to keep my knives sharp, but I don’t have a ton of time to sharpen because I have a couple little ones running around. Would you recommend the edge pro for ease of use or is the learning curve for water

2) I’m looking for a Honesuki knife mostly for breaking down chickens and other meats. Between the Fujiwara FKM 145mm and the Tojiro DP 150mm, which do you think is better? Is one easier than the other to sharpen and maintain?

3) I’m thinking about the Hiromoto gyuto 210mm. Are there any other knives in the < $200 range I should seriously consider? I want something with a western handle. Relatively lightweight. The idea of carbon clad in stainless is attractive to me. I’d like a gyuto with nice fit and finish. Are you getting in any Konosuke HD knives soon?

Thanks!

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Purchasing knives and edge pro.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

1. Yes the edge pro is easy and convenient. You might want to consider the set with the Shapton Glass Stones since they don't require soaking and they're thicker.

2. I guess I like the Tojiro a little more. The steel is a little better and the handle is a little worse (both slight differences). Both are good entry level honesukis.

3. Yes the Hiromotos are good blades. The handles are so so but the blades are excellent. The Sakai Takayuki hammered (also sold as the togiharu) is another good looking and good performing knife.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satahachkn21.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:54 pm 

That Shapton Glass Edge Pro set is a super value. Good job on that one Mark! I wish it had been available when I got my stuff the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

If I were to get an EdgePro, it would definitely be with the GlassStones. :)

I found the unit easy to learn, but as with all sharpening you will forever be chasing the dragon's tail. Even with an EdgePro, there is always improvement to be found...it's a fun chase too. :)

I like the Tojiro honesuki a lot.....but I like carbon for that particular knife style for some reason. A protein specific knife harks carbon in my tiny brain.

You've already got the itch for a carbon core, stainless clad. Get it!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]