It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Properly Loading Strops
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 am 

Here's a short how-to on how to properly load multiple strops with multiple different compounds.

When loading various different strops with different compounds , the most important thing is to prevent cross contamination. All your strops need to be labeled , and they need individual bags (also labeled) to store them in. This is to prevent dust/dirt/other strops and a variety of life realities from contaminating your precious strops while in storage.

So you have everything all labeled and ready to go? Now you shake all of your bottles so they are ready. Then proceed to start with your finest compound/strop , loading it and moving down towards your coarsest. This way any incidental cross contamination is of no issue. Be sure to only handle the strops by the edges/backsides. No touching the substrate itself.

Allow to dry , check everything matches up correctly one last time and proceed to put your freshly loaded strops away.

In the cases of Emulsions , Suspensions and Pastes , you need to spread the compound manually , have a gloved hand ready and when you add the compound quickly spread it as needed. *YOU NEED TO USE A FRESH GLOVE FOR EACH DIFFERENT COMPOUND!*

Poly Compounds on nanocloth.

AlOx and Boron Carbide on Roo.

Poly/Alumina Blend on Nanocloth

This isn't my first rodeo :)

Post subject: Re: Properly Loading Strops
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:54 am 

Does your wife ever ask you to stop stropping it and come to bed? I know my girlfriend asks me to quit playing with my rocks...

And then all this stuff to strop and you have a Gillette Fusion. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 am 

Panko wrote:Does your wife ever ask you to stop stropping it and come to bed? I know my girlfriend asks me to quit playing with my rocks...

Panko, Jump in, get yourself a straight. The wade butcher I just reconditioned I picked up at a local antique store for $15.

Very nice set up sadden. It would be fun to do a sharpening session together. Look at all those toys! It would be interesting to see pictures of the difference in a few of these.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:19 pm 

RedWattle wrote:
Panko wrote:Does your wife ever ask you to stop stropping it and come to bed? I know my girlfriend asks me to quit playing with my rocks...

Panko, Jump in, get yourself a straight. The wade butcher I just reconditioned I picked up at a local antique store for $15.

Very nice set up sadden. It would be fun to do a sharpening session together. Look at all those toys! It would be interesting to see pictures of the difference in a few of these.

I've got straights, DE, and SE's covered ;)

OP has some good processes for keeping large grits off the small grits for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:35 pm 

Oh, great! I thought you meant you didn't have one. Guess I misinterpreted your joke. Op does have one as well. If you didn't see his post earlier about fixing his dovo carbon he got at Christmas, check it out. Good pics with the veho.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 pm 

Good good, strops not wasted ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:51 pm 

The problem.i had with the Dovo is that i pretty much instantly was going well beyond what the steel could handle in terms of refinement. This is something Im currently working on. But until we get some more conclusive results you all have to wait :)

In regards to the Gellette when i get home at 9 or 10 at night and have to be clean shaven and ready for work at 5am the next morning. I reach for my gillete. Bit i use proper facial products.

RW we should definately skype one night

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:59 pm 

Yes I'm up for that. When I get my tech stuff ready ill pm you. I do have a laptop with web cam but I don't use that one for the internet because I use it for my business. My desktop is ancient, no cam. I am looking at getting a new one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]