It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pro transitioning away from Henckels
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Good afternoon,

I have been working with a selection of about 20 Henckels knives that I started accumulating when they were issued in culinary school, and have just stuck with what works. At a prior restaurant that I ran, the owner of my restaurant asked me to use one of his MAC ultimate chef’s knives and see what I thought. After keeping it for 9 months, I got very used to it, the thinner feeling blade, the lighter knife, and seemed easier to keep a great edge on it vs the Henckels.

Now I am looking at purchasing a couple of Japanese knives as I am starting to prefer them to my old German knives. Everyone that I have spoken to tells me to shop at chefknivestogo.com, and the two knives that I was suggested most were the Konosuke HD2 gyuto 270mm, and the Misono ux10 gyuto. I wondered which you would recommend? The Konosuke looks much thinner, it is very thin going into the handle, does the metal go all the way through the handle? Is this knife built for everyday professional use? I would appreciate any advice you could give me, as this will be my first Japanese knife purchase, and I have a feeling I will be buying more…

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Best,

Rich

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Pro transitioning away from Henckels
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich,

Please answer a few questions and then we'll help you get a great knife that will work for you. I'll guess at your answers but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of it.

Do you want stainless or carbon? (my guess stainless for your first Japanese knife)
Do you want western or Japanese handle? (my guess western but you would be open to a wa handled knife since you listed one)
Are you right handed? (my guess is yes)
How much did you want to spend? (guessing about $200-300+-)
Do you know how to sharpen (tough guess but i'll wager you use a rod mostly)
What type and size did you want? (you more or less answered this 240mm-270mm)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Ok,

My first and best guess for a western handled knife for you in particular would be the Kikuichi TKC: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ic24gy.html

Attributes I like for you:
Western durable handle
Semi stainless
Excellent grinds and nice and thin
Pretty easy to sharpen and holds an edge pretty well
Great everyday type workhorse with excellent cutting performance makes this knife a good choice for you.

Wa handle knife: Konosuke HD 270: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd27wa.html

Attributes I like for you:
Thin, light and hard. It will freak you out how nice and light it is.
Runs short so I recommend you get the 270.
HD steel is very similar to the Kikuichi. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge well.
Beautiful grinds makes this knife perform really well. It falls through food.
Nice wa handle that is comfortable but keep it dry if possible.

I don't know if you sharpen with Japanese water stones but I would recommend you do. If you need help let us know and we'll get you going.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not much to do but +1 Mark's recommendation's. Two of the great knives out there. :)

I will add that the rat tang style of knives ala the HD2 knives from Konosuke have been used for a lot of years successfully in Japan. The tang's do not go all the way through the handle....but are quite strong. That old "You must have a full tang and a full bolster to have a good knife" crap we were all drilled with is garbage.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]