It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: prepping for 90 people tonight...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:03 pm 

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday...I should have been taking my 5k stone to work. A few strops and I can work agian, without, I just bitch about my dull edges and piss my boss off.

Last night I left him with my knives to work on cleaning up some fillets. I hope he enjoyed his experience.

Post subject: Re: prepping for 90 people tonight...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:05 pm 

90 people? That's not really what I would call a steep prep list. But it all depends on how detail and complex the dishes are.

So what were you making?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:11 pm 

I was at a restaurant in Seattle, short stage, where 70 was hectic due to it 9 courses plated everything made in house, EVERYTHING even the butter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 pm 

Nmiller21k wrote:I was at a restaurant in Seattle, short stage, where 70 was hectic due to it 9 courses plated everything made in house, EVERYTHING even the butter.

You see, then that's a task. But it really depends on what you're serving and how many different items there are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm 

It was a nightmare some nights.

6 chefs working 9 courses (7 if you count me) every night was a 9 course meal, and the food was amazing but we'd come in at 10am prep till 6pm (dinner at 7) just insane but oh my I do miss it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:09 pm 

Chef works the line with another line cook and we have me and another guy doing prep and backup plating. The challenge is turning tables fast enough. It's a small dining facility with 12 burners and two ovens. One fryer that has been acting up lately.Why do we have to do calamari with a fryer going out? That's the biz.

We are doing fillet,lobster ravioli, some pasta dishes, shrimp bisque, pancetta wrapped scallops, a few tarts for dessert, some panna cotta, gelato etc...The problem is instead of having a fixed menu he's got a hodge podge of regular menu stuff with a special menu.

Now for the main problem...servers...They talk to the customers too much, they fraternize em to death while we wait to get the damn tickets. Rest assured it's going to suck. One server has a bad habit of taking multiple tickets, then talking to customers for five minutes and coming back with all those tickets.

Also we do not have a host/hostess. The owners wife is the server, hostess. So basically we have three waiters and a busser...The problem is there is one server that is scatter brained. She messes up on average 1-3 tickets. If she does this tonight we'll be in the shit. When that happens my boss swears up a storm in Italian.

As some of you folks might know, five minutes can be worth an hours time. We do not use electronic ticket writing systems. I look forward to my next paycheck.

I agree 90 people is not a huge amount, but when the kitchen doesn't have room for plates...servers let food sit and one waitress screws up on average 25 percent of the time...we will have lot's of people waiting at the door and that isn't exactly the spot you want to be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:59 pm 

Umberto wrote:Chef works the line with another line cook and we have me and another guy doing prep and backup plating. The challenge is turning tables fast enough. It's a small dining facility with 12 burners and two ovens. One fryer that has been acting up lately.Why do we have to do calamari with a fryer going out? That's the biz.

We are doing fillet,lobster ravioli, some pasta dishes, shrimp bisque, pancetta wrapped scallops, a few tarts for dessert, some panna cotta, gelato etc...The problem is instead of having a fixed menu he's got a hodge podge of regular menu stuff with a special menu.

Now for the main problem...servers...They talk to the customers too much, they fraternize em to death while we wait to get the damn tickets. Rest assured it's going to suck. One server has a bad habit of taking multiple tickets, then talking to customers for five minutes and coming back with all those tickets.

Also we do not have a host/hostess. The owners wife is the server, hostess. So basically we have three waiters and a busser...The problem is there is one server that is scatter brained. She messes up on average 1-3 tickets. If she does this tonight we'll be in the shit. When that happens my boss swears up a storm in Italian.

As some of you folks might know, five minutes can be worth an hours time. We do not use electronic ticket writing systems. I look forward to my next paycheck.

I agree 90 people is not a huge amount, but when the kitchen doesn't have room for plates...servers let food sit and one waitress screws up on average 25 percent of the time...we will have lot's of people waiting at the door and that isn't exactly the spot you want to be.

that seems like any one of those problems could flip a kitchen upside down. Dayum... good luck dude.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 am 

Hahah we got it just fine tonight...I cut myself twice in a row cleaning filet of beef...Stupid the first time...less stupid the second time. Those large band aids really come in handy...I tried wearing a finger condom but they fit no better than a real prophylactic :) hhehehehe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 am 

Umberto wrote:

We solved that problem. We have waitresses, like, all of them, that have a habit of taking 6 to 10 orders, breakfast, usually, and handing them in all at once... We just started giving them back all at once and watching the manager yell at them about food on the hot plate. lol never gets old.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 am 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:
Umberto wrote:

We solved that problem. We have waitresses, like, all of them, that have a habit of taking 6 to 10 orders, breakfast, usually, and handing them in all at once... We just started giving them back all at once and watching the manager yell at them about food on the hot plate. lol never gets old.

Happens to us as well. Really makes it a scramble when two servers enter the orders at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next