It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pots & Pans
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 pm 

Re: the warping, like I said, it's my fault. Left it on too high a heat with just oil.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:45 pm 

whosthebestcop wrote:I like the Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel Frying Pans instead of the De Buyer carbon steel. Just as thick but 50% less cost. Just have to make sure its the heavy duty ones the normal paderno's are too thin.

Amazon best place for both.

I did check out those Paderno pans prior to my first De Buyer. You are correct, as long as you get the heavy duty 2MM thick pans, they will perform well.

The whole trick to the mineral iron pans is the seasoning. The darker the pans get, the better they perform.
I have no issues whatsoever frying an egg in one of mine, with just a dab of butter.
Don't use them for tomato, or other acidic foods as it will lift the seasoning right off a newly seasoned pans.

I used mine for searing and saute, I have found nothing that works better.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:47 am 

How did you season philly? Like i mentioned I just switched to flax seed oil seasoning and I am really impressed with the surface it makes. Have you ever messed around with flax for seasoning?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 am 

I don't have a spectacular collection at this point, but when I stumbled upon the FinexKickstarter about 8 months back, I convinced my parents that it'd be a great christmas/birthday present. It was a long time coming, but this is my first piece of non-enameled cast iron.

IMG_20140513_170705.jpg [36.69 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

IMG_20140513_170646.jpg [39.47 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:21 am 

hmm, that didn't seem to work. i'll try this... hopefully they're not too large.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:35 am 

holy crap its 200 bucks, god zamnnnnnn

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:19 am 

Now thats my kind of skillet!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:57 am 

50 or 60 bucks i might be a buyer. but at 200 bucks it would have to outperform a lodge by at least 1000% to be worth it, since a 12 inch lodge is usually $18-$22. I can't see it being 1000% better.

I still would love to have one but no where near that price point.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:47 pm 

whosthebestcop wrote:50 or 60 bucks i might be a buyer. but at 200 bucks it would have to outperform a lodge by at least 1000% to be worth it, since a 12 inch lodge is usually $18-$22. I can't see it being 1000% better.

I still would love to have one but no where near that price point.

to be fair, it was less ($125) as a part of the kickstarter. while i would agree that it's not worth $200, it is a fantastic piece. it'd say it's worth closer to the $100 dollar mark. the machined surface is so easy to clean up, especially as my first cast iron pan i've ever had to maintain. the spring coil handle works remarkably well, specially with little kids in the kitchen, it's something i'd worried about.

either way, i'm grateful it was a gift... it's absolutely not something i could have justified buying for myself :p

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 pm 

Mostly Bourgeat stainless lined copper, also Bourgeat high performance fry pans. Bourgeat is expensive, but performs well and will last a life time. Still have a bunch of old Caphalon anodized that gets pressed into service now and then. Love Staub cookware both for stove top and oven. Non-stick - cheapies from the restaurant supply house...toss them out when the non-stick starts coming off.

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next