It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Pots and Pans
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:22 pm 

I was once again reminded this morning of the differences in quality cookware. This of course is no surprise to most that frequent this forum or enjoy quality products in general. I replaced my 10yr old 10" non-stick skillet (Kirkland/Costco brand) a year or so ago with a Cuisinart MultiClad non stick that only sees things such as eggs and a rubber spatula. The ability to heat up quicker and hold that heat at a lower flame requirement continues to put a smile on my face. I've picked up a collection of specialty pots/pans over the years from stock pots, to cast iron fryers (still the best for searing IMO) and dutch ovens, but this little pan continues to put a smile on my face. I'm interested in what pot / pans the members here use. This is always an interesting discussion that I've not seen here yet.

Post subject: Re: Pots and Pans
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:36 pm 

Good idea to broaden the spectrum of discussion. You have to do SOMETHING with all of the stuff we chop up! I Have a collection of mixed cookware. Most of it came from Amazon. I used to watch closely for super sales on cookware and scored some great deals over the last 12 years. Recently I wanted to try enameled cast iron Dutch ovens but choked at the price for Le Creuset. I got a 6 qt Lodge form Amazon for about $50 vs $250+ for LC. Had a lot of trouble with the first two. The finish started coming off after a few weeks of use. I contacted them and they sent me a new one gratis. It too went south too early. This time they asked for me to ship the pot back to them for the R&D lab to check it out. They paid the freight so I was happy to do it. After a while-maybe two weeks?- I got another new pot. The enamel finish was a different colour that the previous two and it ahs held up wonderfully. I recently got a 4=1/2 Qt version also. Lodge ahs great Customer Service.
I also have several pieces of Multi Clad from Cuisinart. I got them when they first came out about 10 years ago. The sizes are different than they are now but that doesn't matter. I also have some Calphalon, both non-stick and Commercial Anodized. They have great customer service also and will honor the lifetime warranty on their products.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:18 pm 

I too love cast iron. I have a good collection of Griswold and Wagner ware. The new cast iron does not compare to the vintage stuff. I have a few pieces that belonged to my great grandmother.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:20 pm 

I have one VERY good non-stick calphalon 10inch skillet

rest is a mix of All-Clad that I buy on sale and cast iron.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:34 pm 

Well if this thread gains some momentum, I can definitely add some expertise. I could easily stock an entire commercial kitchen with my collection.
Primarily I use Calphalon One anodized aluminum cookware. I have both non stick finish, and regular anodized. I have just about every piece they made.
11” Square Griddle, 12QT stock pot w lid, 10" International Griddle , 11” Chefs Skillet,4 1/2 Qt. Sauce Pan ,3 ½ Qt. Sauce Pan ,12” fry pan, 10 inch fry pan, 3 QT Chefs Pan 8” fry pan 10” omelette pan, 4 QT Casserole Pan,1 ½ Qt. saucepan, 8 Qt. Stock Pot w insert, 6 ½ Qt Stock Pot w insert 3 Qt. Shallow Sauce Pan 2 Qt Saute Pan 7 QT Sauteuse, 2 ½ QT Sauce Pan, 1 1/2 qt. sauce pan, ¾ QT Sauce Pan Calphalon Unison 3 QT Saute Pan

Although I am not a big fan of stainless steel, since it it a lousy heat conductor, I do have an All Clad anodized pan with a stainless steel interior.
My favorite pans are my 4 De Buyer mineral iron pans. These have to be seasoned like cast iron pans, once seasoned they are pretty much non stick. They are wonderful for searing meats. I also use them exclusively for saute mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Fabulous!
Cast Iron, and Enameled Cast Iron. These are indispensable as well. I have a few Le Creuset pieces, a large skillet, a Marmatout, small Dutch oven, hot chocolate pan, grill pan with folding handle.
Also have a 3.5 qt Lodge, a 5.5 quart Calphalon, and a 7 quart Uniware enameled cast iron Dutch ovens.
And let's not forget good old regular cast iron cookware!
Fry pans:#3 Griswold,#5 Lodge,#7 Erie,#9 Erie,#10 Lodge,#10 Lodge Lid,#12 Erie,and a 51/2 qt. Griswold Dutch Oven
I am a big fan of Emile Henry cookware. I use the Flame series which can be used on the stove top or in the oven.
I have a couple of smaller dutch ovens, a small griddle, and their new 14 inch pizza stone, best pizza stone I have ever used.
And last, but certainly not least are my French hammered copper pans:
Baumalu 11 inch fry pan ,Baumalu 8 inch sauce pan,Baumalu 1 Qt sauce pan,Baumalu 2 Qt sauce pan,Baumalu Large Windsor Pan Baumalu Small Windsor Pan Baumalu gravy pan
This is most but not all of it.
Years ago when I first started collecting, I had a Calphalon 3 qt saute pan and the non stick finish started flaking off. I sent it back to Calphalon and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. I then promptly sold it at a yard sale, as I had already upgraded my collection to Calphalon One. I have never had to send any of my Calphalon One pieces back.
I just hope I never have problems with any Le Creuset pieces, because their customer service is horrible.
If anybody has any cookware related questions I can and would be happy to answer questions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm 

Debuyer for fry, grandmothers cast iron for skillet, all clad for everyday sauce pans, vintage copper no name for candy and enamel cast for stews and stocks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:28 pm 

All-Clad: 2x 10" skillets; 12" skillet; 12" saute pan; 2qt sauce pan; 3.5 or 4qt (can't remember) sauce pan
Cheapo stainless 8qt stock pan
Costco brand enamel cast iron dutch ove
Costco brand enamel cast iron saute pan
8" cast iron skillet; left at my current house by the last owner, was rusty and crusty. I sanded down to bare metal and re-seasoned.
8qt cast iron dutch oven, bought new.
cast iron griddle pan; also left at my current house by the last owner, also sanded down to bare metal and re-seasoned.

Like miller, I have been transitioning to All-clad by buying seconds and sale items. I like that I can scour them and put them in the oven. The Enamel cast iron is awesome, but mine has scratched up pretty easily and I wonder if I should have invested a bit more. The cast iron stuff is used all the time for frying, nothing works as well. I am currently shopping for some non-stick stuff for egg dishes and other delicate items, but haven't decided what to buy yet. I recently threw away/sold all out pots and pans, they were all non-stick and scratched and flaking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 pm 

Calphalon, cast iron (vintage Griswold, new Lodge, Mexican no-name, all good for me) and a couple of pieces of Le Creuset found at estate sales.

Trying to figure out how to steal my dear mother's enormous copper collection. She uses it for decoration.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

Lodge cast iron is not very good. Old Griswold or Sidney is best...Le Creuset is nice too, but you do have to be careful with the enamel a little.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm 

Another one for De Buyer. Also, for enameled cast iron, Lodge is pretty solid and WAY cheaper than Le Creuset.

Page 1 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next