It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pots and Pans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm 

I mirror Hutch's excellent post.
My pride and joy is an old Erie #12 cast iron skillet. Mine is either a first or third series manufactured somewhere between 1880 and 1905.
I also have this pan in a No. 7 and No. 9
Equally sweet is a nickel plated No. 8 Griswold, my wife's favorite.
I remember one day putting No 12 on a scale and measuring the weight. I also weighed a new #10 Lodge skillet. The Lodge weighs substantially more than that Erie, despite the significant size difference.
From what I remember Griswold used a special nickel iron ore back then. Plus the pans were sand cast hollow ware. You can always tell the good ones by the ringing bell sound they make.
Grab a Chinese pan and give it a tap, all you get is a Clunk! :lol:

I am uploading a PDF file link that I found a while back if any of you guys want to research your old Erie's.
Apparently I can't upload the actual PDF file, so I put it on my Google drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y4CT ... sp=sharing

This is a great thread, and a welcome diversion. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 pm 

Great post.

I have been trying to wrestle my grandma's old griswold skillets from my mom, but she won't relent. Urrrgg. Then again I put her through 30 hours of labor, 2 weeks overdue, in the hottest summer on record, blah, blah, blah, so mom gets wide leeway.

Wife fell in love with Scanpans and I have to admit they are pretty cool. Can use metal utensils and not have to freak out about any coatings. My only complaints are a) the handles are the weak link and b) you really can't use them with fats over maybe medium/medium high heat on 18k burner. On the plus side, easy to clean and darn good transfer of heat. I don't know how many we've accumulated over the years, but I know we have a 12, 10 and 8" shallow fry skillet, 10" deeper saute, 12" stock pot and 3 sauce pans. All in all, probably a bit overpriced for what they are, but they work darn well.

Have 12 and 10" lodge skillets, lodge dutch oven and lodge cornbread pan. Nice and sturdy, but nothing like grandmas. Just picked up an 8qt dutch oven and 5qt brasserie cast iron with enamel. Sur la table brand - LC knock offs. Wouldn't have minded a Staubb or LC, but didn't have the budget...seems my knife budget has displaced other areas of need! Ha ha. I have been pleasantly surprised by the SLT pieces. Only gripe is the enamel is a fair amount rougher than LC or Staubb and leads to more sticking. But considering I got both pieces out the door for under $150, I really can't complain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 pm 

Ya'll got me curious about the vintage cast iron. Found this site, found it interesting: http://www.castironcollector.com/.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 pm 

Iron Frying Pans 3 - 10", 3 - 12"
All Clad Pots, 2, 4, & 8qt
VollRath non stick 3-8", 1-10" & 1-12"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:22 am 

Love my All Clad pots for every day.
For non-stick, I tend to replace my Teflon pans every couple of years. I buy a decent pan at the restaurant supply co.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I have numerous pieces of Circulon Commercial which I got on heavy discount about 20 years ago. These are totally different than the standard Circulon stuff you see these days. They're heavy gauge with a non-stick interior. Built like a tank and still going strong!

I also found a large Staub oval enameled cast iron dutch oven at a Home Goods store a few years ago before Christmas for about $60 :shock: I told my wife - here's what I want for Christmas, but you better buy it Right Now! Heck of a deal!

All-Clad, Calphalon, Lodge, and a couple others make up other pieces here and there.

My favorite basic non-stick pans are the Bakers and Chefs line at Sam's Club. They are made in the U.S.A., well built, and have a nice slope to the sides for omelets and tossing ingredients. I keep two of the 8", 10" and 12" sizes around for doing much of my cooking.

Sounds like I need to start looking for some old cast iron cookware. Great comparison photo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:38 am 

phillysco wrote:I mirror Hutch's excellent post.
My pride and joy is an old Erie #12 cast iron skillet. Mine is either a first or third series manufactured somewhere between 1880 and 1905.
I also have this pan in a No. 7 and No. 9
Equally sweet is a nickel plated No. 8 Griswold, my wife's favorite.
I remember one day putting No 12 on a scale and measuring the weight. I also weighed a new #10 Lodge skillet. The Lodge weighs substantially more than that Erie, despite the significant size difference.
From what I remember Griswold used a special nickel iron ore back then. Plus the pans were sand cast hollow ware. You can always tell the good ones by the ringing bell sound they make.
Grab a Chinese pan and give it a tap, all you get is a Clunk! :lol:

I am uploading a PDF file link that I found a while back if any of you guys want to research your old Erie's.
Apparently I can't upload the actual PDF file, so I put it on my Google drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y4CT ... sp=sharing

This is a great thread, and a welcome diversion. :D

Nice collection Philly, my old Erie skillets are My favorite pieces of cast-iron out of all of them. Excellent quality pieces!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 am 

cedarhouse wrote:Ya'll got me curious about the vintage cast iron. Found this site, found it interesting: http://www.castironcollector.com/.

Cedar, also check out http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl forum. Lots of information there, I was a member there for years. A lot of the site you have to be a member to access, but there is still several parts of the forum that you can access without being a member.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 am 

SteveG wrote:I have numerous pieces of Circulon Commercial which I got on heavy discount about 20 years ago. These are totally different than the standard Circulon stuff you see these days. They're heavy gauge with a non-stick interior. Built like a tank and still going strong!

I also found a large Staub oval enameled cast iron dutch oven at a Home Goods store a few years ago before Christmas for about $60 :shock: I told my wife - here's what I want for Christmas, but you better buy it Right Now! Heck of a deal!

All-Clad, Calphalon, Lodge, and a couple others make up other pieces here and there.

My favorite basic non-stick pans are the Bakers and Chefs line at Sam's Club. They are made in the U.S.A., well built, and have a nice slope to the sides for omelets and tossing ingredients. I keep two of the 8", 10" and 12" sizes around for doing much of my cooking.

Sounds like I need to start looking for some old cast iron cookware. Great comparison photo!

Steve, this seller on eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/201036284643?nav=SEARCH I have bought a few pieces from over the years. He generally always has something pretty good for sale and his descriptions are accurate. If you're ever looking for a piece or two thats already been restored and re seasoned this would be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Hutch, I'll check that out. This is indeed an interesting topic.

Page 4 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next