It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pots and Pans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 am 

Hi Phillysco, good idea for storage! What I did is put peg board and hooks going down the stairs to our family room(which is right near the kitchen) and I hang a lot of my handled pots, sauté pans, skillets, sauce pans , paella pans etc. I can see what pan I want to use and I don't have to go rummaging through a cabinet or cupboard to find what I am looking for. I keep my deeper stock pots, pasta pots and colanders in the cabinets. Enameled French ovens I store on a shelf by themselves so I don't chip the enamel coating

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 am 

Have various Calphalon sets and single pieces (Commercial HA, Pots & Pans, and Contemporary Non-Stick) going strong for somewhere a decade and a half for the originally purchased set. All were definite steps up from the variety of department store cookware "specials" used in the years before making an investment into the Calphalon wares.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 am 

I keep my cookware on a rolling rack that one can usually find at most warehouse stores (e.g. BJs, Price Club, Costco.) It's maybe 5'Wx6'Hx2'D ~ ish. I usually keep it directly behind the range island, with the food processor and mixer stowed away on rolling carts in the breakfast nook. I can then configure the breakfast nook as workspace tailored to the task I'm performing, from merely swinging the cookware out of the way when I need access between the range and the wall ovens to ridding myself of the cookware altogether and rigging for baking.

Breakfast nooks are overrated anyway. I take my breakfasts in bed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am 

Pics.

Attachments:
IMG_0398.JPG [71.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
IMG_0377.JPG [65.52 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 am 

Bikeman posted "What I did is put peg board and hooks going down the stairs to our family room"
Great idea, I had a similar idea I was going to get some slat wall, like they use in department stores, and put hooks on that.
The wife nixed that idea, we are selling the house in about 3 years, so she said just save all those good ideas for our next house.
I also forgot to mention the pot rack mounted to the ceiling in the kitchen, we keep my sauce pans hung on that one. I have another wall mounted pot rack, can't even find a place to hang that one.
Love love love TD and Swarfy's idea on the mobile kitchen ensemble! Neato!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 am 

Lodge and other "modern" cast iron skillets, Dutch ovens, etc, are not milled or smoothed like the old Griswold etc cast iron, so it is much rougher. After proper conditioning and use, there's nothing like an 80-year-old Griswold skillet just "letting go" of some eggs. The non-stick coatings so popular for so long now have been proven to be harmful to the point go being carcinogenic. My wife and I have also been collecting Le Creuset cast iron and bakeware, which is amazingly easy to clean. We also have a surprisingly good Emeril set with the copper bottom and an All-Clad piece or two.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 am 

The de Buyer carbon steel pan I have is as nonstick as teflon, no exaggeration. Minimal seasoning steps, some butter, and a fried egg was literally gliding around the pan like a figure skater. My Lodge, which I seasoned much more meticulously, is not nearly as good at that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

Yes old cast iron is superior to new cast iron in many ways. The iron ore they sourced from around Lake Erie over 50 years ago was excellent quality iron, and extra time and machining also went into those pieces that are no longer done today. Even just as far back as just 15-20 years ago they still were milling out the bottoms of skillets for a very smooth finish. The older cast iron pieces also where mostly lighter with Thinner bottoms and side walls, which allowed you to cook at a lower temperature to keep the pan hot. I own several cast iron pieces that after cleaning and re seasoning are still just like new. Older Griswald's and Wagner's can still be found in many antique stores or eBay. But most of all older brands were of quality too whether it was Favorite Piqua Ware, Wapak's, Lodge, Volrath, Birmingham stove and range, etc etc.

As far as cast iron pieces made today, A lot of it is imported from China. I remember Reading an article a couple years back about a company in China using melted down vehicle engine blocks for their iron. If I were in the market today and did not own any vintage cast iron cookware, I would try and find some older pieces off of eBay or at a local antique store and just restore it. And if that were not an option and I needed a piece or two of cookware I definitely would buy lodge brand cast-iron cookware. There cast-iron pieces are still made in the United States and their customer service is excellent. I do believe Lodges porcelain enameled cast-iron pieces are outsourced from China though, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy a New Lodge brand skillet.

Here is a picture of an older cast-iron pan on the right and a newer Lodge cast-iron pan on the left. You can clearly see the difference in quality. (this is not my picture, I just found it on the Internet for an example)

And here is a photo of a more recent Lodge brand skillet (probably 15-20 years old) when they were still machining out the bottom for a smooth finish. While it's not the quality of pre-World War II pieces it's still a lot nicer than what's offered today(Also not my photo)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:37 pm 

Great post Hutch about the old cast iron pans vs. newer. You are correct about the weight , my older Wagners and Griswalds are noticeably lighter in weight than the Lodge that I have. The Lodge pans work well, the older ones are more refined and have better non stick. You can sometime find good deals on older ones @ yard and tag sales. Even if the pan looks beat up and rusted they can be cleaned up with a little work and elbow grease.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 pm 

For dutch oven, I use Staub. I like them better than Le Creuset, mostly because of the handle and dimpled lid.

For Non-stick pasn and post, I use Woll. It the best and the most durable non-stick I have tried...though they are a little pricey.

For regular pots and pans, I like Kitchenaid. I have a few cast-iron skillets and post that I use occasionally :)

Page 3 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next