It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pots and Pans
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:13 pm 

Le Creuset is expensive. And as far as their skillets are concerned - I like my Lodge cast iron better. But the Le Creuset French Ovens are terrific in my opinion. I haven't found anything that compares.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:44 pm 

I bought a T-fal non-stick box set when I first moved out on my own. Pots didn't hold up and flacked/scratched rather quickly, but the non-stick skillets have held up surprisingly well(coating is still like new to this day). The red gimmick in the middle to tell you when the pan is hot is a joke, but I owned them for a few years before I even knew that thing was supposed to do anything. Maybe it worked when new? I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the skillets as they are built well and heat fairly evenly. My only complaint is although the handles are comfortable they are only rated to 375 limiting use in the oven. I like the quality feel of the All-Clad stainless skillets, but the handles are really uncomfortable, imo. All of my pots are still of the cheap variety, maybe some day I will invest in better ones. Then again, that would cut into to the knife budget... so maybe not. ;)

all-clad stainless: French skillet 11" & 13" and 16x13(?) roasting pan w/rack
Calphalon stainless: 3qt sauté pan
T-fal nonstick: 10" & 12" skillets
misc. makers: 2qt., 3qt. 2x 4qt. saucepan, 8 qt. stock pot, and 12qt. multi-pot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm 

Umberto wrote:Lodge cast iron is not very good....

Not a thing wrong with Lodge cast iron. Have several pieces, nice and heavy and good quality. Our Lodge pieces will be our grand kids Griswalds and Wagners.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 pm 

I am curious as well as to why lodge is not very good. The newer stock does not have a smooth finish like the Griswolds, but should cook similar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 pm 

kalaeb wrote:I am curious as well as to why lodge is not very good. The newer stock does not have a smooth finish like the Griswolds, but should cook similar.

+1
I'd like to hear as well. First I've heard of this. AFAIK the ore is coming right out of the ground in the good Ol USofA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:28 pm 

phillysco wrote:Well if this thread gains some momentum, I can definitely add some expertise. I could easily stock an entire commercial kitchen with my collection.

Cast Iron, and Enameled Cast Iron. These are indispensable as well. I have a few Le Creuset pieces, a large skillet, a Marmatout, small Dutch oven, hot chocolate pan, grill pan with folding handle.

-----
I trimmed your original response down for clarity purposes, that's quite a collection. I am curious what one uses a hot chocolate pan for? :) :)

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm 

I've built up a collection of old school Calphalon over the years, mostly from eBay. Love the bigger pieces, e.g. the 16qt Dutch oven, the 16qt stock pot, and the 14" skillet.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:57 pm 

Snipes wrote:
"I trimmed your original response down for clarity purposes, that's quite a collection. I am curious what one uses a hot chocolate pan for? :) :)"

It's an enameled cast iron sauce pan with a pour spout on one side. It is also wider at the top than the bottom, so it would also be useful for reducing sauces. It has a wooden handle, so you know it's an older one.

As a side note, my collection takes up an entire steel restaurant rack, half of another rack, with the rest of the stuff stored in a huge cabinet and steel shelving in the basement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31 pm 

With over 40 years of cooking for a large "Sicilian " extended family I have collected a lot of pots and pans. Including the usual assortment of All Clad and Calphalon which all get their use. The ones that I use almost daily are vintage cast iron Griswolds and Wagner skillets in 10" and 12" size. The older cast iron pieces have a smoother finish so they have a better food release. I have a 12" Lodge that I sand blasted and hand sanded and it does not release eggs for example as easy as the older smoother finished skillets. Also use a bunch of heavy copper French Mauviel and Italian Ruffoni sauce pots, sauté pans and skillets. The newer ones I have are stainless steel lined not tined so the are less reactive to acidic ingredients like tomatoes and are easier to maintain. The Winter is the time of the year that our Le Creuset French ovens get a good workout for "Spezzatos " Italian stews and slow cooked dishes.
I use the 2.5,5 and 8qt. Oven size . I have had the 8qt. for 30+ years and it has held up well. I recently picked up a Staub enameled cast iron 13" skillet that I use for making pizzas. Cast iron heats up faster and hotter than a pizza stone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:14 pm 

Le Creuset French Ovens (2)
All-clad (normal pots and pans)
Lodge. One big skillet
3 no name brand (valco I think this time around) non stick skillets. I live 3 blocks from restaurant supply store. Every other January I buy 3 new non stick skillets and toss the old. My wife uses metal silverware in non stick skillet and some times even cuts food with a knife in the skillet while on the heat. I can't make this stuff up, trust me

El

Page 2 of 5 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next