It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: "No Knead" Bread - YUM!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 pm 

A few days ago I ran across a reference to a guy named Jim Lahey and his recipe for "No Knead" Bread. I was skeptical but it sounded interesting enough for me to do some Google-ing. Lots of folks making this bread as far back at 2006 and they all seem to be having great success with it. In fact I could not find a single person that said it sucked and they were let down by it. I settled on the "NY Times Version" of the recipe and gave it a try. All I can say is WOW! For less than a dollar in ingredient cost I had an AWESOME loaf of bread. I mean crazy good, and I worked in a commercial bakery for over 15 years.

Here is my 4th try at it. The results are fantastic. I'm going to go eat it now. :mrgreen: If you like a nice loaf of bread give it a try. When you compare the cost and effort to the results it's just full of win!

Post subject: Re: "No Knead" Bread - YUM!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Looked it up and it looks easy enoug. Might try it next week. Looks really nice!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Really looks YUMMY!

Ok, so must we gang up & beat the recipe out of you now......

....or are you going to part with it willingly....??

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:51 pm 

MadRookie wrote:Really looks YUMMY!

Ok, so must we gang up & beat the recipe out of you now......

....or are you going to part with it willingly....??

:mrgreen:

It's right there. Follow the hotlink I have in my post. "NY Times Recipe" < click on that.

This is what the inside looks like. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

....aaah my bad....the old eyes of mine are turning all watery and somewhat blind after too many summers.......

Soz - please accept apologies.

....but next time don't "camo" the link...

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:00 pm 

Yeah. I'm sorry. Most forum software automatically makes the URLs stand out. I added the red on the second one to make it easier. I didn't hide it like that on purpose. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 pm 

Looks great. I also love that the "proof" time is so long. It must develop a lot of flavor. There are a ton of no knead recipes out there. I was starting to get into artisan baking, but life had other priorities for me, and I still find myself at the bakery, or using the bread machine to make dough, and the oven to finish. Maybe I give this one a try when I want a really fresh loaf. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 pm 

Yes, the proof time does help develop the flavor I think. I have been experimenting with different flour and tried some standard yeast instead of the instant the recipe calls for. The regular yeast worked fine although it wasn't as far along as the instant after 8 hours. It ended up really good though. I have also settled on the mix of 50% unbleached AP flour and 50% bread flour. I like the chew and crumb with that combo the best so far. I'm going to get some whole wheat flour and try some combos to see what I like.

I read one recipe that calls for mixing the ingredients and then putting it in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for up 24 hours before setting the dough out to rise for 12-18 hours. They say the fridge time is optional but that it really builds flavor. I'll try that too eventually. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:30 am 

If I recall correctly (which I doubt I do :) using a blend of something like 50% whole wheat and 50% ap and letting it sit on top of the fridge in a spot where it would get some of the heat gave me a decent sour dough starter. I would supplement dry yeast when actually baking if I did it again, because the starter was never enough to get a full rise.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]