It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tojiro dp went from crazy sharp to super dull...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Burr removal, burr removal, burr removal.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm 

Well I sharpened it on my 1200 for quite a while. It took some effort to get a burr to form but eventually i got one. My raw worn thumbs can attest to that. I then used my 5k nice and easy for a bit and then put a micro bevel on the right side. I heard that can help retain the edge and get rid of the burr. At the very end pulled out my phone book and stropped on that. Its wicked sharp now but we will see how it handles my shift on wed.

thanks a bunch for your help guys... except MadRookie ;) Hahaa jk

GABE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

Do let us know.

I don't like VG10 myself, but no knife, as long as it has been heat treated, should be totally dull after 20 minutes--that is not dulling, that is called edge failure. The only thing that causes that is using it on excessive materials(cutting tons of cardboard, chopping on granite, hitting stones in leeks), or a wire edge. A micro bevel can help deburr, but it is not guaranteed, especially if you are careful. Take the phone book and cut into it, just draw the knife through the book a few times(not much pressure at all) and see if it leaves a black mark--if it does, that is steel and you are pulling a burr off. VG10 can be a tough bugger to deburr, and deburring is a must must must.

On Poly boards, doing catering work(so like 5 hours of prep per day), my Tojiro VG10 would go a day and a half without a touchup.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm 

thanks a bunch Eamon,

Its really great to have a mark to aim for. I can handle it loosing its edge after a long shift.. Just not 20 min into it! ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Not one person mentioned the flip-side argument: You may be doing too much refinement for the steel. Try stopping at 1k or 2k and see how long that lasts on tomatoes.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 am 

Knife Fanatic wrote:Not one person mentioned the flip-side argument: You may be doing too much refinement for the steel. Try stopping at 1k or 2k and see how long that lasts on tomatoes.

So just go to town on my 1200 and then deburr with my felt block?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm 

VG-10 gets no love around here, VG-10 should be sharpened to a very fine edge because that's how it was designed. Not polishing to a fine edge leaves you lacking performance from this steel.

To finely polish VG-10 also helps with its burring problem that the average sharpener will struggle with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm 

Jason is right. You will never get rid of the burr ending at 1200. And don't expect the burr to come off with felt. It has to abraded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

And remember to sharpen after you remove the burr, especially at the lower grits if it is broken off. What I have had happen to me is that after I sharpen and de burr the edge, the edge has a tiny flat spot on it where the burr broke off; the 2 edge bevels didn't meet up anymore at a point, but meet at a flat. It left the edge feeling dull until I sharpened it a little more to bring the edge bevels to a point.

If you abrade the burr off, you usually won't run into this problem. When I sharpen, I don't remove the burr until I get past 2000 or 5000 grit. I find it easier to remove the burr at the finer grits than at the lower grits and it reduces the flat spot left if it does break off. Once the burr is off, touch up the very edge or add the micro bevel at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm 

Jason and Taz are RIGHT on the money, IMO. I have only been free-handing seriously for about the 6 months, and would struggle w/my S30V Spyderco because I was creating too much burr and attempting to de-burr way, way too early at lower grits which ruined my bevel alignment. Now I concentrate on abrading my edge with less and less pressure as I move up in grits (sometimes without even running it through felt, soft wood, etc) and I can get serious results within 10/15 minutes with the same blade that I previously struggled with for hours until I final understood this concept. It's been a game changer for me. Adding some Nubatamas to the collection sure didn't hurt things any either, but I guess that's just the enthusiast in me. - Josh

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2