It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rehandeling questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 pm 

I was wondering if those of you that have rehandeled knives have any preferred sources for stabilized wood and pins? Are there any woods you like as handles more?

Post subject: Re: Rehandeling questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:59 pm 

I prefer Burl Source for wood. Mark Farley has been great to work with and has never sold me a bad piece. For pins I usually use Jantz.

As far as wood, stabilzation makes almost anything possible, even spalted woods. I really like figured and two toned ironwood and maple burls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Burl Source and Alpha Knife Supply are really the only two I buy blocks from. I also buy large pieces, cut my own blocks, and send them out for stabilization to the same places they use.

Pins...Jantz is good.

I go for figure on the woods more than a species. As long as it's stabilized by WSSI or K&G and it's pretty....I'll buy it. Now, I will not use snakewood and there are other woods I cry over like black palm, true ebony, and desert ironwood. Black palm blows out too easily, ironwood and ebony are difficult to grind at times but not so much so that I refuse to use them. Snakewood is just too brittle for me. Had too many pieces virtually shatter on me.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm 

Someone needs to help me get some mammoth molar:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use Burl Source a lot and also Arizona Ironwood. Burl Source has some really cool woods and the pieces are bigger, so you can often get 1 or 2 Wa handles and sometimes a ferrule or two out of his bigger blocks, or 2 Westerns and some ferrules/bolsters out of the single block, depending on the size.

Great stuff from Arizona Ironwood and they have lots of different colors on hand and a ton of pieces to choose from. I just got 3# of small chunks of Ironwood Burl that will make great ferrules for Wa handles, prob enough for 15-20 Wa handles. They have good specials on more plain Ironwood, too. It has some figure and streaking, but it's not the crazy expensive burl.

Pins, I get them from Jantz or Texas Knifemakers Supply.

I like Maple Burl and Box Elder Burls (dyed) the best I think. Both are easy to work and have nice figure. Amboyna Burl is a pain to work, burns easily and reminds me of Ironwood when working it, but harder. But it looks nice when it's finished :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm 

Thank you for the input, and good to know on maybe getting 2 handles out of the burlesource blocks. It's seeing all of the work you guys have been doing for mark that's motivating me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]