It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tim Johnson Nakiri Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi

I would like some information about a knife I ordered this morning, but I cannot seem to Register on the forum. Your Confirmation Code is generator is broken…

Anyways, I placed the above order this morning for the Tim Johnson Nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21gywcuh1.html and would like some additional info on it. I know this is a bit ass-backward asking for info after I got it, but when I saw that Nakiri, I just had to have it. I was too afraid someone was going to snatch it away from me.

I do own a Carbon Blade knife, albeit a pocket knife, so I am ‘sort-of’ used to the care going along with it, but my questions are more towards the maintenance (keeping the edge) of it. I am by no stretch of the imagination a knife sharpener, but I am trying to up my game so to speak.

Would a Edge Pro, with the Shapton Glass Stones, do a sufficient enough job to maintain this knife’s edge, or would I have to learn hand sharping? (I have some Wusthoff’s to practice with first though)

How do you know if a knife has a nice Patina, or a dodgy ‘Stain’, or are they the same thing? (I did see someone saying to put a carbon knife in a Rare Roast to get a nice Bluish Patina, good idea?)

Well, thanks for your help and an excellent website.

Regards,

Muller

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tim Johnson Nakiri Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Muller,

You made an excellent choice on the knife. I got a good look at your knife and Tim did an excellent job on it.

The carbon steel used on that knife is good quality and it sharpens easily. Your set up with the EP and Shapton Glass Stones will work great. You don't need to learn to hand sharpen on this or most any knife if you own an Edge Pro.

Basically use the knife, wash it and dry it and you'll be good. That's it. If you find you have some orange colored rust on the knife that is the stuff you want to scrub off. If the knife turns black or blue or grey that is patina and it's what you want to encourage on the blade as you use it.

If you have any other questions let us know.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

The blade is good ole 1095 Carbon heat treated to around 60-61 Rockwell. The blade itself was made my Randy Haas of HHH Custom Knives and it is crazy thin!! He basically brought the convex blade grind down to nearly the edge and it's thin. After I sharpened it, I was slicing receipt paper like it wasn't there. Most stones will work well on it, as well as the EP. The knife is fully sharpened and I sprayed it with some gun oil to keep it from discoloring before I sent it out to Mark, so you will probably want to wash it off well before you use it unless Mark did so already. You can follow the existing bevel on the stones that you have.

If you use the EP (or another similar device) to sharpen it, you will want to start on the coarsest stone to reset the bevel to your device. I sharpened it by hand, so it may not be as precise as an EP would where it helps maintain a consistent angle.

When I get a new carbon knife, I do the rare roast beef patina on it and it seems to hold up decently well in a home kitchen and gives it some cool blues, purples and gold coloring to the patina instead of a dark grey/black patina from onions and tomatoes. You can also force a patina on it with vinegar, mustard, etc to turn the whole blade evenly dark, or make a pattern on the blade with the patina.

Enjoy it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm 

If it's red, it's rust. Everything else will come off with Barkeeper's Friend(or Flitz) without hesitation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]