It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oil on a bread knife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 pm 

I have a 10" Victorinox bread knife that I use quite a bit. I bake a fresh loaf of crusty bread at least once a week if not twice. With this bread, you have a hard crust and a beautiful crumb inside. I use Jim Leahey's recipe to the letter for his no knead bread. It is wonderful bread, by the way.

I have been struggling to cut the bread with this knife. It is a chore. I have carefully sharpened it and it is indeed sharp. I read where everyone says what a great bread knife it is. Not to me it wasn't. I was ready to toss it.

I looked longingly at the Tojiro 270 mm bread knife that everyone seems to love. However, I thought what can be wrong with the Victorinox? Now, the bread is not even warm when I slice it. Sometimes it is a couple days old. But it is the same old story. There is a lot of effort to slice with it. I looked closely at the sides of the blade and it had what I would call drag marks from the bread. Hmmm!?

I carefully washed the knife and tried again. Same old story. Then I washed the knife and wiped a film of olive oil on both sides of the blade. Wow! What a difference! It was 100% easier to slice and it sliced more evenly.

I don't understand this as I have never read about anyone oiling the sides of their bread knife. But works! If you experience a similar problem, try the olive oil wipe.

Post subject: Re: Oil on a bread knife
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:03 pm 

Not sure about the oil on the bread knife part but I was curious after reading your post about the no knead bread. I did some snooping on the web and found the recipe. THANK YOU! I baked my first loaf yesterday and it is amazing. I am going to bake another today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Lubrication.....oh, nevermind....family friendly I reckon!! :D

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm 

I think it is just the lubrication factor. With the sawing action of those kind of serrations you are basically constantly fighting inertia, and the blade creates drag, so any help will matter. The bread will soak up most of the oil in a few swipes anyways.

I chatted with Ragamuffin via email, and he said that he then used his CCK1303 on the bread, and it was like a razor. The cck does do a fine job on bread, like all good knives, and the cck1303 is a good knife by sheer design advantage. I always tell people that the Tojiro ITK Bread Knife is not good because it can cut bread(everything should cut bread), but that it makes less crumb debris, won't deform the crumb in the bread through friction, and if you are cutting a sandwich with stiff or tough ingredients, it can get through without much pressure and thus prevent smashing the bread.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:43 pm 

I am so happy that Paradox is baking this wonderful bread. I greatly encourage all of you to Google Jim Leahey bread and follow this amazingly, easy recipe. It makes beautiful, crusty bread. Just a couple of tips on the bread baking...
It really pays to weigh all of your ingredients, including the water. I bought an "EatSmart" digital kitchen scale online a couple of years back. It was cheap, takes a beating and keeps on weighing. I recommend it. You need at least a 5 or 6 quart dutch oven. I love to cook with cast iron and that is all that I use. Try this recipe!

As Eamon mentioned, I have retired my serrated Victorinox bread knife. The CCK 1303 cleaver that I bought from Mark is like a Light Saber from Star Wars on bread. It is amazing how well it slices. If you don't own one, send your order to Mark now. You will never regret owning this cleaver.Image

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]