It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro dp went from crazy sharp to super dull...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

I arrived to work today very excited to prep with my new tojiro dp. after cutting and dicing about 20 tomatoes it started getting dull! whats the deal? the only thing ive done to it was run it over the 5k finishing stone using a stropping motion so it should have the factory bevel on it. we use one of those polyethylene cutting boards and i tend to use the cutting style where my knife edge spends alot of time on the board. what could cause my edge to dull so fast? i got this knife so it would hold its edge... HELP! i need to know what im doing wrong here

GABE

Post subject: Re: Tojiro dp went from crazy sharp to super dull...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

VG-10 does not exhibit edge retention of any significance.......

Consider some alternate, better steel.....

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:45 am 

Well that sucks...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with MR, who has far more sharpening experience and far more and better knives than I. My guess is the factory bevel is to blame, perhaps sharpened at too acute an angle and the edge collapsed.

VG10 is not a bad steel at all. In fact, it's very good, but not as good as some others. Plenty of pro chefs have used it satisfactorily for years.

Put your own edge on it starting with a lower grit stone at your preferred angle and move up to the 5k then strop.

Let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would say sharpen it up fully and make sure it is de burred properly until no burr is left. IIRC, VG-10 can be a pain to deburr. If it was the factory bevel, I doubt it was too small of an angle. Sounds more like a burr was still on there and eventually wore off on the plastic board. The stropping on a 5k stone may have weakened the burr a bit and it eventually came off, which can leave a flat edge and feel dull.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm 

taz is right about keeping a careful eye on deburring. VG10 isn't much more difficult than most other steels. Once you raise a burr strop on newspaper or leather by pulling the knife back toward you with the edge facing away. After each strop lift the knife straight up, resisting the temptation to lift the spine then the edge. To complete the process run the blade through a cork.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

This is what i need!! Some constructive conversation On how to deal with what i have... The stones are in water now and im going to put my own edge on it.

Gabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

...ooops....let me re-phrase......VG-10 can do about 20 tomatoes, then it will dull somewhat........

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gabe,

Let us know how the knife performs after you sharpen it. I've sold thousands of Tojiros DPs and they are good knives. You should be able to get good performance out of them. You don't need another knife.

One reason a knife will go from super sharp to dull quickly is the knife has a wire edge/burr that flips over once the edge contacts something hard like a cutting board. If you properly sharpen your knife that will eliminate that problem and the edge should perform better. That's just a guess but I'm thinking that's what's going on with your knife.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Also some knives have a fairly brittle edge OOTB because of the buffer they use. It heats up the edge and becomes brittle. A lot of Shun knives have this issue (I've sharpened over 500 of these so I have a clue :D )

Give them a good sharpening job and you'll see it improves the edge durability.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next