It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife for culinary school
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

I am very excited to have found your website!

I recently started culinary training with several private chefs that work together. We are all full time volunteers for an international educational organization. I've been cooking since I was about 10 years old, but have had no training until now. I'm quickly realizing that I need some better knives than the cheap set I purchased back when I was 20 years old.

I'm impressed with the reviews of your Richmond Artifex 210mm Gyuto. It's at a great price for someone like me who works part time so I can volunteer.

I realize that I also will need a blade protector/cover. I looked on the website, but being a rookie I don't know what I need. I have a good knife block for storing it at home. I really just want something to use when transporting in a knife case.

I also realize I will need a honing tool. Once again, I have no idea which one. Can you recommend an affordable one for me?

For now I'm going to have my buddies help me sharpen my knives until I can afford stones and all the accessories.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to using your company as a resource in my new culinary endeavors.

Recap:

1. Richmond Artifex 210mm Gyuto
2. simple blade cover
3. honing tool

jr

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Knife for culinary school
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is a nice, inexpensive hone:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html

I'm not a fan of the typical steel one's. They're rather aggressive and can easily chip knives like the Artifex. Some of the smooth steel honing rods like those from HA are great...but the ceramic one from Idahone work real well.

The Lamson knife safe's are great for transporting knives around.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knifesafeset.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

I second the rod Adam suggested. It works well and it's cheap.

All the blade guards on the site will work fine. I kind of prefer the Wusthof ones becuase they have a fuzzy/felt lining that won't scratch your blades:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wu8blgu.html

Or you could try our top selling item on the site. our .39 blade protectors with goofy knife nerd/cooking stuff written all over it.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chblgu.html

We've sold 500 of these since they came out a month or two ago. :)

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm 

Thank Adam and Mark for the great suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 pm 

I was finally able to order the Richmond Artifex, the ceramic Idahone and the Wusthof blade gard. The knife is excellent. Exactly as described and is just the right balance and size for me. The rod is excellent as well.

The only thing that didn't meet my expectations 100% was the blade guard and only because it's a little short for this knife. It leaves the heel of the knife slightly exposed and the tip of the blade right at the edge. So I would have ordered a larger size had I anticipated that.
photo.JPG [46.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 am 

those types of blade guards are usually just to protect the knife in your bag, so other knives wont scratch it and you won't cut yourself when reaching into your knife roll. So it not fitting 100% isn't all that bad. Good luck in culinary school, I can;t wait to start myself

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 am 
Forum Moderator

JERRY <> Sorry I missed this first go round; I would have suggested against the Wusthofs... strongly. I find them useless. They have no tension so you have to rubber band the crap out of em, they don't fit well as you explain, and there is no tip penetration guard(ing). Waste of money to me.

The Bladesafes<--link work very well, and even the Victorinox magnets<--link work surprisingly well. It's nice to be able to cut to fit.

Regarding school... I'll refrain.. I - will - not - speak.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]