It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Imanishi Stones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 pm 

I am looking for a medium grit stone in the 700 to 1000 range. I like fairly muddy stones. Is anyone familiar with the Imanishi 800 or 1000 stones and how they are to work with? I will progress up from here to a Bamboo 2000 and/or Suehiro Rica. From watching Ken's video of the Bamboo 800, it does not appear to produce much mud. Knives are stainless and carbon and mostly double bevel right now. I welcome any suggestions from this group.
(oh, and this is my first post)

Post subject: Re: Imanishi Stones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Case,

Welcome to our forum. If I have time later this afternoon I'll do a short video on each just to show you what the look like when sharpening.

The blue aoto is a very muddy middle grit stone. It's about 2k in grit but there is a mix of materials in it so it cuts pretty fast. Also the King is a muddy 1K stone.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the reply Mark. I hadn't really considered the King stone since they don't seem to get too much favorable "press" in the forum. But it sounds like a good candidate. I would really like to see video reviews of the Imanishi stones though. They are very helpful to me and the next best thing to actually trying them. Case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 pm 

Personally I don't view the King stones as a viable option with current stone selections. They are slow cutting and you can get a stone that's vastly better for not much more $$.

If you like muddy stones then the 1k Arashiyama is a excellent option. If you are using high end Nubatama stones though I would probably stick with them to keep performance on a even plane. The 800 bamboo would be a good choice to then follow with the 2k, the 800 won't be as muddy but will have the feel you want and expect. The 1k gold bamboo is a powerful 1k but too close to the 2k to even consider in a progression.

If you have plans to regularly use the bamboo 2k then IMO you should get the 800 bamboo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

I like your logic Jason. I have been wondering the same thing. I am pretty new to Japanese water stones, but not to sharpening. I find even inexpensive water stones far superior to Arkansas stones and oil stones. The Nubitama 2000 is my only expensive high-end stone, and there is a subtle but distinct difference between it and the other stones I am using. The Nubitama 800 sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]