It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cookware Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 pm 

I'm looking for some new cookware. I know this is a little out of the scope of this forum but I figure there is a great wealth of knowledge here about brands/ etc. For the longest time I've used varying sizes of cast iron skillets and honestly would be content with these for the long haul, but I'm always looking to expand my knowledge set, so any thoughts on stainless? I've been looking at de Buyer pans which are carbon steel, anyone have experience with these?

Post subject: Re: Cookware Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 pm 

I have had many different brands of cookware in my life, but two of my current favorite pots are stainless made by Henckels, available on Amazon. They're made in China, of course, but they are every bit the equivalent of All Clad at half the price. Here's a link to a set: http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-Internat ... s+cookware

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

My mother must have won the lottery one day because she bought me a 4 pc. Le Creucet set once, and those pans kill. With proper cooking skill, they are essentially non stick. They offer all the benefits of cast iron, but don't demand as much conditioning. You can wash one with soap and a scouring pad and leave it to dry with the plates.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm 

For pot, I prefer Staub over Le Creuset, because Staub has the dimples inside the lid, better for braising. Le Creuset's smooth kid inside pool the condensation on the side of the pot. Also, Le Creuset charge you to have a metal handle that can handle the oven.

For pan, I love Woll :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 pm 

Staub over Le Creuset, because Staub has the dimples inside the lid, better for braising.

I do a fair amount of braising, thanks for the heads up. I do really like Le Creuset's enameled fry pans though...

Now to the Google for the Woll and Staub...

Mark if you see this, you have any interest in maybe expanding product lines. I'd rather give you my money then Sur la Table. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:17 pm 

mckemaus wrote:For pot, I prefer Staub over Le Creuset, because Staub has the dimples inside the lid, better for braising. Le Creuset's smooth kid inside pool the condensation on the side of the pot. Also, Le Creuset charge you to have a metal handle that can handle the oven....

+1

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:52 pm 

I have a few SS pans. I have been using them for a little over 10 years. I have the Calphalon Tri-Ply and I love them. At the time I got them I was looking at the All-Clad pans and I could just not see ANY advantage from getting the All-Clad over the Tri-Ply. Pretty much the same as far as size, weight and construction. At the time the Calphalon was less than half the price too.

As far as dutch ovens go, Le Creuset (They call it a french oven.) is the way to go. The non-metal knob on the lid is a total non-issue, they are rated to 500 degrees. I can't imagine what you would be cooking in them over 500 even if your oven could get that hot. My oldest one, a 7.25 Qt. round, is going on 12 years old and the knob is no worse for the wear whatsoever.;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm 

Le Creuset come with their classic phenolic handle, which is rated to 375F. They do sell another phenolic handle that is rated to 480F and a stainless one, as assessories. Most oven can get to 37F5, but there is little or no application where you would have lid on at that temperature, let alone 480F. It just irks me because as a premium product they should have put the best components on as standard. You can get well past 500F on a Primo grill.

Some people like the matt enamel finish of Staub, they say it browns better. I actually have products from both. In most respect, they both are good. I like them both. I just like Staub slightly better and use it a little bit more often.

P. S. Primo Grill is nice to have too ;)

Last edited by mckemaus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 pm 

Oh... I do prefer Le Creuset when I am making French onion soup or Risotto. That Matt finnish of Staub doesn't work as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:30 pm 

As far as stainless goes. Tri ply clad cookware is what you want for fry pans or a sauté pan. A heavy sandwiched bottom will suffice for sauce pans or pots.

Tramontina from Walmart is a VERY good well reviewed tri ply cookware brand. Cuisinart has very good quality tri ply as well also a good price for these.

Calphalon has the best warranty. I have purchased a second hand Calphalon non stick pan and they replaced it under warranty when the surface finally came off.

All clad is the industry standard. While over priced they set the bar for what clad cookware is.

$40 for a 12" tri ply Tramontina fry pan is hard to pass up.

If there is a Costco near you cuisinart sets are $50 cheaper than amzon

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next