It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is a good profile and size for a chef knife?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 am 

Thanks for educating me on the Laser term. I thought it was cutting the knife profile from steel sheets.

Your bolster comment was helpful, as well.

Here are some areas for various reasons.

Wood OK if stabilized...I stabilized my wood..Loctite-90c...canvas micarta rate excellent.

Vanasdium has ups and downs.

I'm leaning toward a pommel for pounding.

I'm leaning toward a hole/oval that helps hold the knife when you slip your hand up on the blade.

I'm leaning toward a slight spine swelling up ...that's marginal.

I'm leaning toward a concave bolster...has some benifits toward thumb/hand comfort.

I'm leaning toward a different shape handle rather than a straight out one with a finger stop

I'm leaning toward a 2" X 8" blade....1/16" versus 3/32" thick

Ernie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:24 pm 

Ernie wrote:Where do I find

prototype 240mm laser thin Gyuto

Ernie

By reading around the forums....

Prototype = a test design/knife

240mm = knife length

laser thin = some people like to have "lasers". Knives which are thin with little resistance . If you read around the forums and get accustom to the chef knife community, you will get a better idea of what to build.

Gyuto = knife style

And what do you mean by a hole/oval? Do you mean something like a Karambit? Chef knives aren't fighting knives :lol:

Speaking of handle, you also have to consider a Western vs. Wa handle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:52 pm 

Perhaps you can draw us your prototype(s).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 pm 

For me...

I like the idea of concave bolster and curved shape for finger stop for comfort.

I don't think the hole forefinger is necessary, and it might make it a hassle to clean, since we clean our knife so often during a prep.

I don't like th idea of pommel. I think would be dangerous, considering where the point will be. It will be ineffective, since whatever can't be crushed by side of th blade, can dealt with mortar or with meat tenderizer, without have things flying off into the kitchen with a pommel. It might affect the balance. Personally, I like a balanced blade or a slight forward balced blade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:29 pm 

Personal preference, holes on the blade are bush league. I've looked at your website and the craftsmanship looks to be pretty high. My Wustoff Ikon knives that have some type of pommel (or a heavy weight on the end of the handle) on them are infuriating and I never, ever use them anymore. I think that if you did something with your own personality and a super thin one it might be interesting but the balance point being middle/to in front of the hand is much more comfortable for me. Speaking of your website, I'm not really in the market for a new knife right now, but how thin/light could you make a folder? I had one my sister picked up in Spain that was extremely comfortable to carry on a daily basis. heavy folders just lay on my night stand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

ERNIE <> In reply to the question, "...which Chef's knife style and size is the most useful style for a Chef to do all they want to do."

210mm Gyuto

This size/type has not been dubbed the "manual food processor" for nothing. It is the most versatile tool in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 pm 

Gyuto appeals to me.

My thanks to everone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 am 

Just keep in mind kitchen knives are a completely different animal than a hunter or tactical.

There are two parts to a kitchen knife. The blade and the board. The profile dictates how those two meet.

The geometry with determine cutting characteristics.

Weight and balance: Personal preference

Weight distribution: The commonly heard phrase "feels good in the hand" has to do with the above and weight distribution.

Bottom line kitchen knives aren't just a sharp piece of steel with a handle on it. (steel and handles are a whole nother story)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 pm 

"There are two parts to a kitchen knife. The blade and the board. The profile dictates how those two meet.

The geometry with determine cutting characteristics.

Weight and balance: Personal preference

Weight distribution: The commonly heard phrase "feels good in the hand" has to do with the above and weight distribution."

Agreed the above are important to focus on to make good into great

Chef knife for a Chef
Between 240mm - 270mm. Longer knife for a Chef, but >290mm is too long making it slower.

Gyuto but not laser thin >2.2mm

Be generous on blade height. Not extremely tall, just some extra mm's to make the life of the blade last longer.

Damascus styling looks cool
I like Wa handle but really doesn't matter if weight balance is good

Texture on the face of the blade affects how food releases from the knife after the cut. Not too polished or food will stick to the knife.

Hope it turns out nice!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 am 

I have ordered my steel...CPM-S35VN...my choice. The stock is 3/32 thick but will be thinned as I grind it. I have a handle profile that I prefer so thats what this one will have. It will have an 2" X 8" blade. I have been looking into a Sushi type blade and have had excellent referrals in that direction

At least this is where I'm at right now.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next