It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What is a good profile and size for a chef knife?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

I am right now designing a Chef's knife that I will make.

My question is which Chef's knife style and size is the most useful style for a Chef to do all they want to do.

Your help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ernie

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What is a good profile and size for a chef knife?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:40 pm 

For me, About 10" length. Better to be shorter then longer because if you are using it on a line, you have limited cutting board width (from you to the mise en place). Durability is important because in a fast paced environment with many people, accidents happen (to the knife). I also like a handle with non slip properties, because when I am very busy, I find I can't always keep my hands as dry as I want to, and lets say I'm cleaning fish on the fly, and some salmon fat makes it onto my cutting hand, I have to stop and wash my hands or risk slipping up the knife. knuckle clearance for chopping is a given. A slightly rounded spine around the bolster helps reduce the chefs callus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 pm 

For basic home kitchen use....8" or 9" blade. Handle that is ergonomically correct for you, regardless of what it looks like.

Euro/Asian style is from my standpoint kind of a Ford/Chevy argument.

I will always keep a Henckels 8" Pro S Chef Knife (I have owned it for 35 years) in my knife block. It does whatever I ask.

I use a 7" Santoku and 10" Gyuto at work daily.

Either is "nimbler" than the Henckels but every kitchen task does not require "nimble"

Truth be told my former Artifex was an excellent all around knife. Sadly the handle was just too small for my hands. If I were using this knife strictly for home use...no worries. However, prep work on cases of vegetables, poultry, and other commodities with this blade did cause my 60+ year old hands some grief. But....the blade performed superbly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 pm 

Acmemfg,

I have had same exact issue with my Artifex. Mark, I know you are reading. The handle is to small for extended daily use for many a chef. I still love the one I bought from you a few weeks ago, and I am keeping it for home use. My other already took a dig into her fingernail with it, so thats a great sign, cause she is well trained,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am 
Forum Moderator

By small, do you guys mean length or girth?? If it's Girth, rehandle it with thicker scales. Length, convert to a Wa handle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm 

Well Ernie you had posted, but I don't see your post anymore.

Anyhow, I'm not quite sure what kind of knife you are going for here. You asked a few things asking if a "pointy tip" and something about the top of the knife being rounded was important on a knife. Those kinds of things are going to depend on what kind of knife you want to build. For instance, a Nakiri won't have a "pointed tip", so that would not be important.

Maybe you could tell us a little bit about your background/experience and then if you have not already, we could point you toward some current knives and reviews. There are a lot of really nice folks around here with experience in selling, developing, and making these knives that would be able to give you some ideas. I just think we need a little bit more info from you first.

edit- if you have not already, visit the CKTG storefront and read reviews of the different knives. You will find that very helpful in finding out what people specifically use their knives for, and how they may compare to other designs from other manufacturers. A lot of these knives are like fingerprints, they are all different in their own way and no two are identical.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 pm 

Hi,

Yep,

I did post some more questions earlier...where they went I do not know.

My WevSite www.erniesknives.com

I'll check back later and see if this stays on here
Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 pm 

Ernie wrote:Hi,

Yep,

I did post some more questions earlier...where they went I do not know.

My WevSite http://www.erniesknives.com

I'll check back later and see if this stays on here
Ernie

It should, so long as you don't hit the delete on the top right corner :)

And I think you should make a prototype 240mm laser thin Gyuto for people to test. Let me know when you need my address :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 am 

Where do I find

prototype 240mm laser thin Gyuto

Ernie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 am 
Forum Moderator

There are many types of chef knives out there. Most people here are now using Japanese style chefs knives. They are thinner, lighter and harder than your typical Wustoff, Henckels, etc, and don't have a full length bolster. Lasers are called that because they are light and thin and "cut like a laser" with little resistance. Maybe look at some pictures of some knives to see what the profiles and stuff look like. Everyone has a different preference.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next