It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: fine grit stones 12k+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 pm 

what is the difference betweent the shapton glass and shapton pro?

How do these compare to the Naniwa superstone?

all are similarly priced.

cooldays

Post subject: Re: fine grit stones 12k+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 am 

To answer your first question:

shapton-pro-vs-shapton-glass-t980.html

I do not have the Naniwa superstone so it is hard for me to comment.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 am 
Site Admin

The big difference is that the naniwa is softer. It's a great polishing stone but I usually recommend you strop on that stone. The shaptons are harder and a little easier to use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Naniwa 12k SS is not as soft as the 10K SS as I recall (it's been some time since I used the 12k), but it's still much softer than either of the Shaptons.

Now, I never liked the rock hard feel of the Shaptons...at all actually. Others love them.

I also found that the 10k SS was easily superior to the 12k SS in final edge quality.

Using either, and my goodness especially the chalk like 10k SS, requires an extremely steady hand or you'll gouge the piss out of the stone instantly ruining your edge.

The Shapton's also require a very steady hand....perhaps more so....they're so hard that if you wobble, you'll destroy the edge instantly.

I find that even though the SS's are so much softer, they're more user friendly than the Shapton's. Purely personal experience.

There are happy medium's though....the Chocera's come to mind....so does the Kitayama (although I hate that stone).

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

All good advice. If you go for the SS, use trailing strokes at first. Nothing worse than gauging a new stone.
Shaptons are hard and unforgiving. They offer a very crisp and keen edge... When done correctly.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:15 am 
Forum Moderator

" Nothing worse than gauging a new stone." Yea - dropping a new one on a tile floor right out of the box is worse :(

Pretty accurate advice already given. The SS10k is the softest of all. The 12k is harder. The Chocera 10k is a good bit harder than the 10k SS and has a much higher grit density.The Shapton 15k Pro is quite hard. IMO the 16k Glass is a bit harder. The 30k Pro is very hard. The newcomer on the block is the 15k Nubatama Bamboo. Harder than the 10k or 12k SS and leaves a finer finish in the range of the Shapton 15k Pro and 16k GlassStone, perhaps a bit finer (hard to say). It develops a fine mud unlike the Shaptons ( more like the Naniwa stones), yet it imparts a high contrast finish unlike all the other stones mentioned here. A very unique stone. Certainly the stone of choice for single bevel carbon steel knives, only surpassed by some natural stones in finish. Expensive compared to all but the Chocera 10k, but it is in a separate class. Totally addicting. Check out the video on Mark's site.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]