It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strop suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 am 

I want to order a for my edge pro (i have diamond spray and i use a set of chosera stones if it makes a difference), i see that they vary in price on the CKTG site so they must also vary in quality, can i get a recommendation for an amateur?

On he same topic, I used the leather strop that came with the set (the full monty) and because the arm (of the edge pro) got somewhat stiff during sharpening it didn't slide smoothly and I ended up cutting the strop on my blade, can anyone give me some advice on the topic?

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject: Re: Strop suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

MPjunior wrote:I want to order a (What?) for my edge pro (i have diamond spray and i use a set of chosera stones if it makes a difference), i see that they vary in price on the CKTG site so they must also vary in quality, can i get a recommendation for an amateur?

On he same topic, I used the leather strop that came with the set (the full monty) and because the arm (of the edge pro) got somewhat stiff during sharpening it didn't slide smoothly and I ended up cutting the strop on my blade, can anyone give me some advice on the topic?

Thanks,
Mark

If the cut is not too bad you may be able to sand the strop with 320 or 400 wet/dry paper (use it dry).

The arm should slide smoothly. Do you have it assembled correctly? It's easy to get it backwards.

Correct:

Incorrect:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

oops, im looking for a strop...

as for the arm, i assembled it the right way but i think the residue from the stone stuck it up a bit...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 pm 

I'm still learning about the strops myself.

As for the arm sticking try this: Push the arm all the way back and put a drop of oil on the rod behind the plastic knuckle it slides through and work it back and fourth a couple of times to get it lubed up. I use synthetic gun oil and it works great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

You can put a drop of dish washing liquid on the arm to lubricate it. That's what Ben Dale suggests. I'm sure oil works too.

Cutting your strop is a right of passage. I trim my old cuts with my sharp knife or a utility razor and keep using it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 pm 

Thanks for the replies,
As for the strop, its cut in quite a few places but i will try to repair it.
In any case I am making an order and i want to get another strop for when i will need it, can you recommend a strop that goes well with diamond spray?
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 pm 

I got the balsa strop with Boron Carbide on it from CKTG a couple of weeks ago. Using this has improved my results quite a bit using only the EP. I used to do all my stropping free-hand because I kept cutting the leather strops I had made for the EP. I quit using them. Also, at the moment I don't care a whole lot for leather on the EP unless it is horse or something very hard. Soft leather will wrap around the edge and the harder leather and balsa keeps it's shape with the flat bevel the stones have created. I'm going to get 2 or 3 more balsa strops to use different grit sprays on in the near future. The Boron Carbide really works great using the EP or free-hand. I got a bottle of it after trying the strop. It's almost like that was a plan. :D I want to get some finer grit spray pretty soon. I'm still searching for the ulltimate-edge. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 am 

Does balsa do well with diamond spray?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup. Balsa works with every compound I've tried. When going below 0.125µ, nanocloth might be better (haven't tried it yet)

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm 

thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]