It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shapton Stone holder.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I am thinking about the Shapton glass bench stones. They are very thin. It looks like the universal holder will not allow full use of the stone (the end rubber pieces would be in the way).

I found a couple of Shapton stone holders that cost a fortune ($105 for bench holder and $80 for field holder). I am looking for a MUCH cheaper solution. Do you have any ideas? I don't want to cut down the universal to fit the thin Shaptons because that would make it unuseable for other stones. Maybe some kind of shim under the glass stones?

Thanks,

Jim H.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton Stone holder.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

I've had this question several times in the past. The universal stone holder works perfectly with the shapton glass stones. I used the holder with my 500 grit glass stone 2 days ago and there is absolutely no problem with it. The stone is tall enough to sit above the ends of the holder.

This is the one I'm talking about:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nastho.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 am 
Forum Moderator

In the worst case, get some thin plywood and cut it to the same dimensions or slightly smaller than the stone and use that to raise the stone up if you need it any higher. I would stain or seal the plywood so it wouldn't swell/shrink when it gets wet/dries.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am 

taz575 wrote:In the worst case, get some thin plywood and cut it to the same dimensions or slightly smaller than the stone and use that to raise the stone up if you need it any higher. I would stain or seal the plywood so it wouldn't swell/shrink when it gets wet/dries.

Stick on rubber feet, like what DMT supplies with their Dia-Sharp's, work even better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am 
Forum Moderator

The middle section is moveable and you would have a gap that is un supported between the feet at the end that the feet at the middle section. By using the thin wood, it will fully support the thin stone more than the rubber feet would.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:35 am 

taz575 wrote:The middle section is moveable and you would have a gap that is un supported between the feet at the end that the feet at the middle section. By using the thin wood, it will fully support the thin stone more than the rubber feet would.

Use six of them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Maybe, but I don't know how thick/strong that stone is. If it's 8" long, it will have around a 3" unsupported area between the feet. I have one of that type of holder and depending on the size of the stone, I move the middle base around. If you are using those stones, you could leave it in the middle. Depending on how tall the feet are, it may lock on the feet instead of the stone side? Again, I haven't seen the stone and don't know how tall the feet are, so it's hard to say exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am 

I have several of these stones and the universal holder. They work fine together. I also built my own sink bridge out of 2x4's and 1x4's. The holder portion is a too tall for the shapton stones, so I made an "incert" that works just fine. However over time it has warped a bit which is not much of an issue either, but I really like the rubber feet idea and I am going to "convert" my stones to that.

The shapton glass stones are very rigid and while I don't think they will need more than six feet, the feet are cheap, so use 8 or whatever number you are comfortable with. Again, this is not really necessary as the stones fit the universal holder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm 

If you have neither stones nor holder, and you are looking to buy a few different stones, I'd suggest you buy just one stone from the Pro Series. They are good stones and the box it comes in doubles as a handy sharpening base, and the Glass stones fit perfectly.

I like the Pro 1k and 2k, so if you were to get, say, a Glass stone 500, 1k and 4k, you could just get a GS 500, Pro 1k, and GS 4k. Then you are set!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am 
Site Admin

We sell the boxes empty too if you want a cheap holder.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next