It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shapton Glass Stones for the Edge Pro
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:48 pm 

I am thinking to buy an EP to fool around with? Is it worth it to wait for the next batch of GS or I should just get the Full Monty?

There is going to be more GS made available, right? Any timetable?

[feel like 3 years old sitting in parent's car, asking "Are we there yet?"] :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

No idea when the next batch of GS will be in, but I say they are worth the wait.

If not, get the Shapton Pro set imo

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm 

Thanks! I'll be patient! <sucking on my lollipop> :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 pm 

I'm unclear of exactly what the term "splash and go" means. Normally I think I'd understand but since the stones when used on the EP are upside down I'm wondering just how wet they should be. I saw a video of the shapton glass stone being used and there was quite a bit of water on it. There was more than would stay on the stone when turned upside down. I did read one statement stating it was bad to use them dry. Should there be enough water that it will be running onto the blade a lot? This sounds pretty stupid but I would like to know if there is any difference in performance and/or stone damage. Being "splash and go" stones them being used upside down isn't a problem I'm thinking. The water stones absorb water and since the shaptons don't, they could be dry very quickly. How bad could this be?

Pleas let me know which method to use from the choices below.
1. Use dry
2. Apply water wipe most off with a rag.
3. Spray with a mist bottle use.
4. Squirt the stone completely and use it with the water dripping all over making a mess.

I appreciate any advise.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Go for no 3.5 (between 3 & 4).......Spray with a mist bottle and stop just before it's dripping all over making a mess......

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:36 am 

I used to need to strop to get a mirror finish on the bevels of my knives. Now that I'm using the Shapton glass stones I don't need strops any more for a mirror finish. The finest I have is the 6k. I'm getting what I call a mirror finish with it. In Madrookie's review of the Shapton glass stones the first stone he uses the word "mirror" with is the 8k. I was going to get the 8k per his recommendation but they were out of stock at the time. Being impatient, I got the 6k.

Normally, I wouldn't get the 8k now that I have the 6k. I would skip grits to the next grit level which is 16k. Does anyone think I would see any significant difference going from 6k to 8k? Would the 8k be a waste? Should I get the 16k and skip the 8k?

I know this is probably a hard question to answer. So much is based on personal preferrence. Keep in mind that in my case money is a significant issue. Instead of getting both I'd rather just get one.

Thanks for any help.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 am 

Currently I have the glass stones for my EP in 320, 1000, 2000, 6000, and 16000. I'm able to get a really nice mirror finish on my bevels with this progression. I'm pretty thick into the obsession phase of it at the moment though. :shock: I couldn't help myself and went ahead and ordered the 500, 4000, and 8000 to finish out my set. They should be here tomorrow. I'll give you an update after the 8000 gets here. I'm thinking it will just be an even more refined mirror finished bevel. Overkill I'm sure but what the heck, it sure is fun. LOL! :D

The jump from 6000 to 16000 works fine. I don't think it's at all mandatory to have the 8000 in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 am 

I am excited about having stones that will leave the finish the SG stones leave. I neglected to speak of the sharpness level in my first post. That is as important, actually more important to me than the finish. The finish possible is proof of the performance of the stone and I would also like to know if any difference can be felt. Does anyone see any benefit in using a 6k and 8k both in regard to sharpness or would more benefit be seen by skipping the 8k and going to the 16k. So, I'd appreciate info on the grit progression regarding finish AND sharpness.

Paradox, thanks for your comments and I look forward to hearing what you think of the new stones you are getting. The other consideration I've had is the coarser stones. I already have inexpensive stones that will remove steel fast and get the edge ready for the 2k Shapton. After I get the Shaptons needed for the refinement of the edge I may want to get some coarser ones. Any likes/dislikes about the coarser Shapton glass stones would be appreciated as well.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:12 am 

Test, disregard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 am 
Forum Moderator

6k to 8k is really a waste of time - if you are going to 16k, cut out the 6k stone.

:)

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next