It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro and Richmond Knives question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm 

Mark,

I recently received some advice on your Facebook page regarding my first purchases from you and was told to go with the ‘Edge’ 5 piece set and perhaps a ‘Custom’ M390.

Just wanted to get your input…I am hoping to buy both within the next month and if possible at the same time, but alas the Mighty Dollar may be an ‘issue’…and I don’t want to sacrifice the experience for the sake of a few bucks, I’d rather do it right the first time.

I am used to using ‘traditional’ 8” Chef’s knives, but have the skill to use just about anything, although I do prefer a ‘shorter’ blade…other than that, I would defer to your experience as to which Richmond Knife would be a good choice.

As for sharpening…I’ve only had limited experience with ‘manual’ sharpening and that has been limited to three stones and just my hunting and pocket knives…I don’t trust myself to do the kitchen steel yet! I do believe that I’d like an Edge Pro set, but again with so many choices…am wondering if you could provide any guidance there either?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Best Regards,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro and Richmond Knives question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

My artifex is a good knife but for you I would encourage you to spend less and get the AEB-L version. They are easier to sharpen so I think that would be a better use of your money.

The Edge Pro is a good machine. Try the essential set. It's all you need:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm 

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

All the sharpening I've done for Mark was done on an EP with Chosera and Shapton Pro stones. Worth buying imo!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:45 pm 

You'll be able to get a great edge on the Artifex with an Edge Pro, if I can anyone can. ;) I have the Shapton Glass stones for mine and I love them, they are amazing. In fact I ordered 3 more GS plates today to "fill out" my set. I'm adding the 500, 4000, and 8000 to the 320, 1000, 2000, 6000, and 16000 I already had. I know it's way overkill but I'm in the throws of obsession at the moment and it sure is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm 

Just ordered the Edge Pro Essentials and will get additional stones as I learn...first Artifex on order too! - Thanks again for the advice...additional suggestions are welcome as I am sure that this is only the FIRST Richmond knife I'm adding to the collection! (Don't tell my wife!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Jim. Please come back if you have questions and we will help you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]