It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Im thinking of buying a straight
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am 

I currently use a

chosera 400
chosera 800
chosera 2000

suehira 6000

I also have a strop with green compound

is that good enough?

cooldays

Post subject: Re: Im thinking of buying a straight
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:59 am 

You will find little use for your 2k and lower grit stones unless you get involved with restorations.

I suggest that you add a higher grit stone, like a Naniwa SS 10k or 12k. IMHO 6k is just too coarse for a final hone for a razor. If you can afford it, a Shapton Pro 15k or Glasstone 16k is better.

The strop may be usable, but only if the surface is dead flat. I use a balsa strop for my razors for that reason, after noticing that my leather strop was raised at the edges and was keeping the razor's edge from making full contact.

If by green compound you mean 0.5 micron chromium oxide, then you're good to go. If you don't know the grit size of what you are using, then add 0.5 micron chromium oxide to the list.

You will also need a hanging leather razor strop to use before each shave. It's used without any compound at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Good advice!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm 

you are good, but don't skimp on the stropping after the 6k.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 am 

cooldays wrote:I currently use a

chosera 400
chosera 800
chosera 2000

suehira 6000

I also have a strop with green compound

is that good enough?

cooldays

Your crox compound,is it in the bar or the hand american?I know that the consistency in the bars can fluctuate up to 3 micron,HA products are money well spent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 am 

Im not exactly sure what the grit is of my strop. It came preapplied and is much better than my other strop that i applied bark river compound to.

It is a knives plus strop block and it feels like the smooth side of leather more than the rough side of leather even though I know it is actually the rougher side. compared to my other strop (dmt paddle) it is very smooth and I like it better. here is what they say about how they make it.

We hand pick leather from a little home owned leather supplier here in Amarillo. We have found that a good quality chap leather is the best.

Chaps are the soft leather that Cowboys wear over their Levi's to keep the Mesquite bush thorns and prickly pear cactus from eating their legs up. It's soft but tough.

We use contact cement to glue this leather down to a 2 1/2" X 8" (approximately) particle board base. When the glue is dry, we raise the leather's nap by scraping with a razor blade to allow the polish to penetrate the leather and give it a "bite" when used.

Next, we melt down a high chrome rouge in olive oil until it is the consistency of thick vasoline. We smear and work this preparation into the leather surface with a hard rolled shop rag until the surface of the strop is thoroughly saturated and coated. Then we let the polish sink in and set for two days under low heat.

Finally, we rescrape the surface of the strop to remove excess polish and reset the nap. We run the edges of the base on a Burr King grinder to smooth and round the sides for comfortable use, and remove the green polish that gets on everything.

Remember these strops are hand made and are not the prettiest things in the world. They are also subject to the availability of the right piece of chap leather, and making them depends on what materials are available.

We use particle board base material. Width may vary from to 2"-2 1/2" and length may vary from 7"-8". Leather color may vary from cream color to dark brown which will affect the color of the finished product. Each strop is hand checked for "nap and grab" before being packaged.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 am 

The Knives Plus strop may or may not be suitable for use with a razor. Their website says that it is for use with both knives and razors, but no grit size is given. Remember that it's not a carrot or potato that you will be working on with your razor, but your face. The Whipped Dog sells a "Poor Man's Strop Kit" that has a balsa strop with 0.3 micron chromium oxide (green) on one side and 0.1 micron iron oxide (red) on the other, plus a hanging leather stop for final polishing. It's a bargain.

http://whippeddog.com/products/view/poor-man-strop-kit

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]