It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Help sharpening my Tojiro.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

I totally agree Eamon. The way I can tell or a novice can tell ( I prefer to strop) is vg10 and harder knifes have a completely different sound like a scratchy ring that means " your tearing shit up" I either use the boroscillicate rod or strop but I prefer to strop, vg10 and the others are to hard to be used on a steel, I know at most schools and most chefs (excluding you) steel everything.. I quit doing restaurant work because every single time I took the knifes back the first thing they did was pull out a flat dickaron steel and go to town on it and than they bitched it wouldn't cut and I had to explain that they just took a finely honed edge down to about 800 grit. They just never could understand that u don't need a steel on vg10 or higher knifes the owner took the steels and told them to pay for their own sharpening next time and the attitude changed and guess what they left my edge alone and the knifes lasted 3 times longer but I just told myself I didn't want to mess with restaurant knifes any more unless the chef brought his own personal to me it worked out so much better for the both. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:02 pm 

all right
thanks all for the info, help, and suggestions

so, here it is
rika 5k stone(considerably cheaper than the chosera), hand american strop kit and a borosilicate rod(when they come in stock)

this should do me well i think

best
grant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Grant that is a choice you won't be sorry for. Peace jmbullman

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2