It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help me decide between these Nubatama beauties
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm 

So I'm building my Nubatama collection. As always, Ken S. has given me excellent feedback/insight regarding my options (thanks Ken!), but now the choice is up to me.

I already have the Bamboo 150, which is an outstanding stone, love it. Per Ken's recommendation, I'll be adding the Bamboo 400 as my step between the 150 and my 1K.

Here is what I am considering for my 1K: "Bamboo 1200", "Ume 1K Large", or "Ume medium speckled". I am looking for the most versatile 1K of the bunch, since I work with a great variety of blades, from kitchen knives, hunting knives, machetes, etc. Any insight between the 3 different 1K stones?

Finally, I'll be building the collection up to the 5K stone eventually. I've been considering the Bamboo 2K or 3K, then jumping right to the 5K. Or I could jump back over to the Ume line and go with the 2K, 4K, and 6K.

Too many decisions, too many Nubatama beauties, so little time.

Post subject: Re: Help me decide between these Nubatama beauties
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm 

Bamboo,

1k gold

The 1k gold is a super fast cutting 1k that leaves a nice hazy finish and a nice sharp edge. The 3k I don't have but I do have the 2k and would rather have the 3k before going to my 5k. The 5k is a very hard stone that cuts slowly but highly refines the edge and gives it a nice sharpness for slicing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm 

As usual, thanks for the quick response Jason, and solid advice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:11 pm 

Your welcome,

The 1200 is a sweet stone but its a Aoto so it plays a different role than a 1k stone. Little less cut and a little more polish. I think it would be a good choice if you were using it after the 800 bamboo stone but from the 400 its a bit of a jump. The 1k 3k 5k along with the 150 and 400 will be one hell of a set and allow you to perfectly sharpen almost any blade type or style.

You will really like the 400 too, one of my favorite stones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:16 pm 

Outstanding, I'm fired up. I'll be firing my order off to Mark sometime today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm 

Jason, since you have hands-on experience with the Bamboo 2K, how would you explain the special nature of the 2K and 3K stones. I just figured if you can shed some light on this, it could help further explain the near double price tag compared to the other stones in the series. I will be going for the 3K eventually, per your advice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:29 pm 

They, like the 1k gold, will have very high grit density making them cut through most all metals like a hot knife through butter. The mud that is created on each stone is fine and silky and helps to polish the metal so the next stone can better refine the surface. By polish I refer to a natural Kasumi type of polish where the metal takes on a hazy almost sand blasted look closely resembling a natural stone polish. I prefer this to a high gloss polish and for the sai mai or damascus cutlery it creates the contrast to the different layers of hard and soft metals giving a proper look.

I much prefer the type of edge left by these types of stones as I feel they cut better. The edge retains a better "bite" as the grit gets higher giving better control with very sharp knives.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm 

That explanation makes perfect sense to me, I guess that's why I'm a fan of the Nubatamas because they mate well with my jnaturals.

Jason, I've been letting my Bamboo 150 live in water. If I'm using my stones every week, do you believe I'd be O.K. to leave my 150 and 400 as full time soakers? I'm assuming my 1K gold and everything above it I would not want to soak, at least more than a few minutes. Is that Gold a splash and go for you? Thanks again amigo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm 

Me too, I love the natural look.

All of mine are in water except ones that are not used much or I don't have room for.

I have in water, the bamboo,
Han-Han
Naniwa,
150 Omura
Green brick
Arashiyama,

They have all been in for a while and zero ill effects.

My Ume 60 grit and bamboo 120 sit dry on a rack but that's only because they are not used often. No matter the stone make sure to give it at least a few minute soak so it works properly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:23 pm 

Right on then, I'm glad I asked you. Guess only my Jnats will be land dwellers. Thanks again for all the insight today J., it was very timely. Got some fresh Nubas headed my way!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next