It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Follies with a rig
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

I'm still a noob when it comes to sharpening. My first real attempt at sharpening was with lapping sheets (e.g., fine sandpaper) on glass. Seemed to work okay, but a bit cumbersome. Currently I'm using a rig similar to the EdgePro. I was unable to sharpen the Tanaka Kurouchi Deba 165mm on the rig because the angle wasn't constant through the blade. It's such a thick blade that you quickly know when the angle doesn't match, and I had no intention of reprofiling something that thick. I ended up sharpening with the EP stones by hand, just matching the angle as I went along.

I'm currently trying to sharpen a cheap yanagi and again finding the angle changes as you go down the blade, though less so than with the deba. I want to reprofile this blade anyway, so I'm going to try with the rig, but the coarsest stone I have is a Congress Tools MoldMaster 320, and it doesn't seem to have enough cutting power.

My best result on the rig thus far has been with cheap stamped knives. Skinny, flat, and simple. I've also sharpened some JCK Inazuma knives on it, but had trouble finding the original primary edge angle, and they don't like to stay flat on the blade rest because the secondary edge goes really high. (Or is it that the primary edge? I've seen the terms reversed.)

I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the real EdgePro yet. Either I don't know how to use it properly, or it just doesn't work for my situation. I'll probably end up freehand on stones some day... =)

Post subject: Re: Follies with a rig
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 pm 
VIP Member

Sharpening single beveled knives and a rig like the EP or WEPS, don't mix well. I guess it is possible, but I would NEVER try it for the reasons you are explaining. There are a lot of good videos on how to sharpen single bevels freehand on youtube. I would suggest watching those and learning that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:35 am 

Please please please do not "reprofile" your single bevel knife with an Edge Pro.

They are not made, designed, or intended to be sharpened with a jig.

All jigs...ALL of them...are ineffective tools for sharpening Japanese Single Bevels. It is a completely different beast.

Freehand is the only way you can sharpen it without destroying the qualities that make your knives good.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:35 am 

Please please please do not "reprofile" your single bevel knife with an Edge Pro.

They are not made, designed, or intended to be sharpened with a jig.

All jigs...ALL of them...are ineffective tools for sharpening Japanese Single Bevels. It is a completely different beast.

Freehand is the only way you can sharpen it without destroying the qualities that make your knives good.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 am 
Forum Moderator

I agree with Eamon.

Single bevels are, imo, easiest freehand and give a better finish and performance.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:15 pm 

Wow thanks for the advice! I'm glad I didn't get too far along in the process. Of course now I need to get a stone or two (or three, or four, or... did Mark set you up for this??)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]