It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Snow White Degradation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm 

So I just picked up a used Naniwa Snow White from another forum and noticed some micro-fissures spotted on one side. Swarf makes these stand out a great deal after use as you can see here.
stone1.JPG [22.26 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

After that pic, I put a grid on the stone and flattened it until it was all gone, but you can still see them remaining here, so they had to be deeper than the amount I ground away.
stone2.JPG [9.91 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

And this side view confirms that they go almost 1/4 down in some places.
stone3.JPG [7.91 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Has any one else ever noticed something similar with this stone? Is it due maybe to the previous owner perma-soaking when he shouldn't have?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Snow White Degradation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 am 
Forum Moderator

I've had that happen on an Edge Pro sized Snow White, but never saw it in a full size stone. Yikes!

Perma soaking this stone is probably the cause imo.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

Was just sharpening some with it - love the stone btw, very hard, smooth, and leaves a beautiful polish - and the cracks don't seem to adversely affect the sharpening ability of the stone. But this leads to a couple of questions.

1) Should I try to sharpen on that side and eventually work them out, or just flip it and try to avoid water/swarf getting in there?

2) Will this stone eventually fracture if those cracks get big enough?

3) How pissed should I be with the seller (if it all) who sold this to me as barely used, and obviously had the other side face up for pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Snow White is a wonderful stone, the cracks you are seeing I have found to be an everyday thing with the Snow White it best with this stone to keep as much water as possible or it will load up like a mother but I have had 2 snow whites and the cracks are their on all of them and I don't know the reason why it does that but every time I sharpen even after lapping the stone hairline cracks appear no matter what. I have figured out that a small constant drip of water will slow down the swarf and hairline crack build up. Unfortunately that is the character of this stone and their is no way to stop it. I just continue to use mine lap it and keep fresh water on it at all times from a spray bottle or simply putting water from a cup when you turn the knife over for the next side. This is not a permasoker and I have see one fall apart by doing so it happened to a friend of mine. I just accept it and sharpen away and lap when necessary as for the hairline cracks I have not seen one that did not do that, I just accept it. Sorry for the news it's a great stone and I will use mine down to a nub of a stone and buy another. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 am 

Good deal man, thanks for the response.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]