It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1st. Japanese Knife from CKTG
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm 

Hello everyone,
I am about to purchase my first knife a Dojo Nakiri from CKTG. I would also like to buy something to sharpen/maintain the edge also. I have absolutely no experience. I saw a Takeda sharpener that has 2 stones mounted on a wooden handle. I watched the video and it seems pretty straight forward. However, being new to the game. Thanks for any help you guys can send.

bayrunner

Post subject: Re: 1st. Japanese Knife from CKTG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 am 

Congratulations on your purchase, you will be thrilled with the service and knife.
You should know that in regards to questions on sharpening, many of the folks who could potentially respond are sharpening fanatics who obsess over sharp edges and spend ridiculous amounts of time taking knives like the one you have purchased to an eye surgery ready state. As one of those inflicted with this curse I'll give my little piece of advice:

If you have an interest in sharpening and you are willing to take some time to learn how to do it and spend a little more money than you are in luck. Forget the Takeda sharpener and purchase some Japanese Water Stones from CKtG, Mark will advise you on which stones to purchase. With these tools in hand, you can just watch and learn from the videos at the CKtG site, there are some brilliant sharpeners here who will lead you in right direction. Free hand sharpening is an extremely rewarding method of sharpening knives and you'll be startled by the edge that you can achieve with some practice.
Ken Schwartz has some fantastic videos that he made to illustrate the Nubatama stones qualities but they really are great tutorials on free hand sharpening as well, and I know he made those with this in mind, i.e. teaching others.
You need to have an interest in sharpening to get started and learn. Once you get that first new edge, you'll be hooked.
If you don't think this is something you are ready for, then perhaps the Takeda sharpener will do. You can always change your mind later.

There is my 3 cents worth, enjoy your knew knife.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm 

Thanks for the info Sailor! I am in fact interested in sharpening and can't wait to order some stones and get started!

bayrunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you're enjoying the knife. The steel is good stuff and they're an excellent deal for the money.

If you want to get started sharpening you just need a couple stones. I did a bunch of videos for newbies here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshforne1.html

If you have some specific questions after watching any of the videos let us know and we can help. It's hard to mess up sharpening and it's easy to get started so have at it. Starting is the most important way to get good at it. When I started to learn I did 1 knife a week at halftime of the Packers games. After 4-5 weeks I was getting good results.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 am 

Thanks everyone! For all the suggestions and help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]