It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrade my Global?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I currently own this Global (absolutely love the weight) along with its siblings the paring and boning knives -- sharpening all with the Global MinoSharp 2 Stage, honing with the Global steel, and storing on the Global 20" Knife Wall Magnet. Been reading your site quite a bit and was hoping for your thought leadership.

Do I have a decent set of equipment here? The MinoSharp gets them in good condition, but I'm not seeing a razor's edge.

Should I upgrade the Chef's knife or stay with what I have and perhaps sharpen on stones? Get a Kanehiro? Inotada? Which specific models?

I'm a professionally trained chef who now cooks at home about three times a week on average. I'm right handed, I'd say I'm a bit above a novice at sharpening -- don't always want to take the time to do it (don't own any stones), rock AND push cut 50/50, I'm used to stainless, but at this point, it's not required, really like the Global handle.

Many thanks.

Louis

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrade my Global?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm right handed
Above a novice at sharpening
Rock AND push cut 50/50
I'm used to stainless
like the Global handle

Hi Louis,

Honestly I think it's time you try upgrading. My first Japanese knife was a global and I owned it for years and now I never use it. The knife is too soft to hold a steep edge and that's where you get high cutting performance. The factory mitigates this by putting a convex edge on the knife but that's difficult to duplicate.

Try this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

The Konosuke is thin, light and hard. It will fall through food if you keep it sharp. I would recommend you get a combo stone like this to get started sharpening. Watch my videos if you need some help getting started:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Very cool. Thanks, Mark.

What was the reasoning with going with the Konosuke? Was surprised to not see you lean towards a Kanehiro or a Richmond. ;-)

Will storing this one on the Global Knife Wall Magnet be a problem at all?

Will adding 1.45" be THAT much of a difference?

Besides keeping the knife dry, are there any other things I need to do to take good care of it?

Can I continue to use the Global Steel to hone?

Regarding sharpening stones, will this be all I need for all knives? Should I get a stone holder? Is that just sandpaper he runs the knife over at the end of the video?

[am traveling this week and typing on a tiny smartphone ;-)]

Louis

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Louis,

I love the Konosuke knives in general and I think they are a great knife to move up into after your Global. It's a nice step up in quality and performance.

No problem with your knife rack.

They run a little short and they're lighter so you won't be troubled by the length. You will get used to it quickly.

Nope, just wipe dry after you are done using it. There's some chromium in the steel so it will protect the knife from rusting. It may darken if you let it drip dry but that's about it.

You can but you will get better results with a stone. Steeling these knives with your global rod will keep the edge working well in between sharpening jobs.

A stone holder is nice but not necessary. You can use a damp, folded dish towel. You can flatten the stone with some 120 grit wet dry sandpaper. I am running the knife through a deburring block on the video. Here is the deburring block:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/harohadefebl.html

Here is the stone holder:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nastho.html

We don't sell sand paper but we do have stone flatteners. This is our best selling one:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

But like I said you can use sandpaper to start.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]