It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka Supreme vs Richmond Artifex?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi I was looking into a new chefs knife and I stumbled on two which I am considering, the Moritaka supreme gyuto series at 210mm and the Richmond Artifex 210 gyuto. I was wondering if you could help me if some more information and on choosing the right one for me. a little bit to describe where I would be using the knife is, I work in a high volume kitchen which our prep is super actuate. So I am looking for a very very sharp knife which is sharp and holds its edge better then the other. I like the look of Moritaka and how it is carbon ( I have had very good experience with carbon knife) but I also like the Richmond for the price and it is stainless. I was wondering if you could give me some more information and help pick out the right one for me.

Sam Kang

p.s: CKTG is the best website ever.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Moritaka Supreme vs Richmond Artifex?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sam,

Try the Moritaka. It's hand made from a small blacksmith shop, uses excellent steel (aogami super steel) and performs great. I think it's a good match for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, you are at 2 very different price points and knives! The Artifex is stainless with a Western style handle. The Moritaka is Carbon with a Wa style handle. The Artifex will take and hold an edge very well, same with the Moritaka. Maybe look into a Richmond 210mm laser? AEB-L steel and a thinner grind. Also, check out Konosuke knives for very thin, very sharp knives. White #2 or the HD (semi stainless) series would work.

I have one of these in 240mm and love it! Very thin behind the edge, I've stropped it twice in the several weeks I used it on an uncoated denim hard strop and the edge has popped back to very sharp levels. It's a little heavier/thicker, but cuts wonderfully and has a nice convex grind.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 am 

Well I was looking for a knife that I would keep for awhile, sharpen daily and use almost everyday for work.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]